Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Service barrels appear regularly on "fleabay",and if in mint shape,can be pricey. You are NOT going to find a 4" .45 acp barrel,for the simple reason,that none were made! 4 1/2" was the shortest "standard" New Service made before the .38/.357 models came out in the late 30's. I doubt if you would find even a .45 Colt caliber 4 1/2" New Service bbl.as this is a scarce length and this caliber has a .454 bore versus a .452 for the .45 acp. BUT-you are in great shape!! The most common barrel for New Services is the .45 acp,1917 issue with the 5 1/2" length;many on "fleabay" & other on line auctions. So buy one,have the gunsmith cut it to 4",recrown the muzzle,put it on,and add a new front sight of your choice. Good Luck. P.S. Did a jacketed bullet have a primer only pop,stick in the barrel,and the next round hit it causing the bulge? These will sometimes cause a blown barrel(or worse). If this is the case,it is fairly common,and the major reason I don't wear ear protection when shooting outside. Hell,my hearing has been "shot" for decades from other loud sounds. Bud

·
Registered
13 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lonewolf:
New Service barrels appear regularly on "fleabay",and if in mint shape,can be pricey. You are NOT going to find a 4" .45 acp barrel,for the simple reason,that none were made! 4 1/2" was the shortest "standard" New Service made before the .38/.357 models came out in the late 30's. I doubt if you would find even a .45 Colt caliber 4 1/2" New Service bbl.as this is a scarce length and this caliber has a .454 bore versus a .452 for the .45 acp. BUT-you are in great shape!! The most common barrel for New Services is the .45 acp,1917 issue with the 5 1/2" length;many on "fleabay" & other on line auctions. So buy one,have the gunsmith cut it to 4",recrown the muzzle,put it on,and add a new front sight of your choice. Good Luck. P.S. Did a jacketed bullet have a primer only pop,stick in the barrel,and the next round hit it causing the bulge? These will sometimes cause a blown barrel(or worse). If this is the case,it is fairly common,and the major reason I don't wear ear protection when shooting outside. Hell,my hearing has been "shot" for decades from other loud sounds. Bud<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You guessed it. I thought the priner didn't even go pop, so after the empties were ejected, I found the bulge. These were 200 grain lead SWC loads. I always have to learn the hard way no matter how old I get.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

I had a mishappen with my Colt 1917 and now have a bulge in my barrel. Before anyone starts beating on me for defacing martial arms, I better mention a previous owner had removed the all rollmarks off the bottom the grip frame and polished and reblued this beast. While didn't plan on rebarreling this piece, I have decided I want a 4" Colt New Service in 45ACP now. I need a gunsmith to find or manufacture a barrel with the New Service taper and install the barrel and a new front sight. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom Hughes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts