Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need comparative values of three Python\'s?

Although I know that since Colt Python values have recently been skyrocketing, and it would be difficult to place an accurate number($$)for current values-I need to find out which of three mint Python's would be the most valuable based upon barrel length, condition, finish, and vintage, as follows:

1)A 4-inch, nickel Python, NIB condition, correct wood target Python grips, Estimated to be around 1974-75 vintage?

2)A 4-inch, Royal Blue Python, NIB condition, correct wood target Python grips, estimated to be 1974-75 vintage?

3)A 6-inch, Royal Blue Python, NIB condition, correct Python wood target grips, estimated to be 1968-69 vintage?

Please place the above Python's in the order that you feel would be the most valuable(1, 2, 3)? Add any additional comments regarding their values(Based upon any other variables)? If you can, please estimate a value difference between these three Python's(Regardless of what their actual($$)values might be!)?

This is a different gun shop than the one that had recently sold me down the river, on that 2.5" Python I had been considering! However, this is a high profile collectible gun shop-and, they were having an audit today-but, they have only agreed to hold these Python's for me to consider, until 11:00AM tomorrow morning(Pacific Standard Time)! These people are reliable-but, guns move fast in this store! So, I'll appreciate getting your Input here ASAP? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: Need comparative values of three Python\'s?

3. (assuming no letter prefix serial number) $850 - $1,000

2. $800-$900

1. $800-$900

I'm assuming NIB condition without correct numbered box and papers. If including box and papers then values would increase accordingly.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
1)A 4-inch, nickel Python, NIB condition, correct wood target Python grips, Estimated to be around 1974-75 vintage?

2)A 4-inch, Royal Blue Python, NIB condition, correct wood target Python grips, estimated to be 1974-75 vintage?

3)A 6-inch, Royal Blue Python, NIB condition, correct Python wood target grips, estimated to be 1968-69 vintage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough call, as you're fully aware, the Pythons are all up and all over.

I would give an additional nudge to the early 6 inch tube.
The others it's kind of a coin toss, although Bright finished Pythons are bringing better coin than the blue ones as of late.

Maybe $1000-$1300 each of the 4 inchers with the 6 inch tube going between $1300-$1500.

The nickel 4 incher could bring up to $1500 itself at auction with the right pictures. The key there is RIGHT pictures.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

GUNKWAZY:

1)Thanks for your input!

2)Since you have a pretty good herd of Pythons, which finish is your preference? And, how do you feel about nickel Pythons? How good of a job did Colt's do on their quality of the nickel finished Pythons?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Honestly I've always loved the bright stainless.
Similar to the look of nickel, with-out the worry of the plating coming in contact with something and pealing off.
I feel Colt did some Beautiful nickel plated revolvers.
I only own a few nickel and would not mind owning more.
Then again, who here wouldn't ?
Some people are diehard Blue fans, I prefer Bright & shiney, but will still drool on a beautiful blueing job.

Here's a picture of one of each that I've shown time & time again.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

I value all 3 the same. I never find a difference in price between the 4 and 6 inchers. Although the 6 incher is a 60's model it's a very late 60's model.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

GUNKWAZY:

Thanks again! Although I'm like you, in that I do like the highly polished stainless Pythons-the thing that I was trying to decide on, was in the event that I would choose to go with one of the 4-inch Pythons(Blue or nickel?)the very thing that bothers me, is the point you made, regarding the possibility of the nickel flaking off, for any reason! Although either of these Pythons would only be for collecting-theres always the chance that something unexpected could occur, to cause the nickel to flake or peel off!

Majic:

You brought up an interesting point also-regarding the 6-inch Python not being any more valuable than the other two 4--inch Pythons, on my list! I was wondering because of the fact that this Python is a late 1960's Python- if this would have held much weight in terms of increasing the value over the other two 4-inch Pythons(Just because of this age factor)?

·
Registered
115 Posts

I agree with Majic that there is little value differential between 4" and 6" Pythons, the real differences are to be found in 3"s (much more value), 2 1/2"s (somewhat higher), and 8"s (sometimes somewhat less depending on the buyer, except for Silhouettes and Hunters which can be very high).

I think that Gunkwazy's estimates are correct for a true NIB condition gun without box, etc. but that would mean truly New In Box condition, a true 100% gun with absolutely no turn line, no handling marks, perfect in every respect, etc. But, however, one would expect to find a gun in such perfect condition to have matching box, papers, etc. as it would have been bought as a collector piece to begin with.

Late 60s guns with no letter prefix, whether justified or not, do seem to be more desirable than the early 70s E prefix guns due to the fact that they are numbered without a letter prefix although there is really no difference between them and the 1970s E prefix guns other than the second issue stocks on the 60s guns and the third issue stocks on the 1970s guns (in some cases). There is a difference between the 1970s vintage guns and the early to mid 1960s guns with the hollow lug, one of which I recently picked up in 98% condition for $825. In the long run it probably won't make a damn bit of difference whether a Python was made in 1969 or 1972 as Colt doesn't make them any more and they will all be desirable in the future (as they are now). Just my $2 cents.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Just for clarification purposes....

I'm not giving a higher value on the 6 inch tube because it's a 6 inch tube. I feel I find 4 & 6 inchers seem to bring the same amount.
The value increase is just for the age difference.
Small age difference as it may be, the value of a 60's pre-letter serial number I find, always brings more money.

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
810 Posts

I'm with 'Jeff' on this one, though I prefer the 6", based on my sales and buys over the years, the nickel 4" if "as new and in the box" would get the most , followed by the 6", again if "as new and in the box".
Least is the 4"....................................

The 'nickel' guns will "draw" far more attention and the 'ladies' love them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I appreciate everyone's clarification regarding all of the above three listed Pythons! Soon, I'll be heading over to the gun shop that has these Pythons to examine them very closely to determine which of these(If any-depending on their prices, and true condition and completeness?) I'll be choosing to purchase? I was not able to fondle these Pythons yesterday-because of an audit being in progress at this gun shop! Although this is a reliable gun shop, I hope that they were paying attention whenever I had requested that they hold these Pythons for me, until I had returned the next morning(Today!)as there was a lot of commotion going on, because of this audit?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

One question.....

Will you be putting a hold on them ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Jeff:

Despite the fact that I know this gun shop's owner pretty well, when it comes to Pythons, he is very reluctant to hold them(Even for me!)but he sometimes will allow me a one day hold(Unless of course, I inform him that I'm definately going to buy them-as he knows that my word has always been good)! Since I'm here in CA, Pythons are few and far between-and, the hawk's are always out on the "Prowl" ready to grab every Python in sight(Even out of your hands(If they can get away with this)!)!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I just returned from the gun shop, after inspecting these three Pythons(At least, as much as they had allowed me to do!)since they were still working on the tail end of their audit! Anyway, I was a little disappointed in my findings! The result:

1)Nickel(4-inch)Python: Although this gun looked very nice(No scratches, chips, flakes, mint wood target grips)it did have a light cylinder ring and all six cylinder holes had powder rings on the front, and inside the top strap had a burn streak going across the strap(Above the forcing cone)but there was no top strap cutting observed! The gun was tight, with no other signs of wear n' tear anywhere! Also, no box or papers! The serial number of K039xx, places this gun in 1980.

2)Blue(4-inch)Python: This gun was unfired! There was no sign of physical damage anywhere! It was tight also! The serial number of E289xx, places this gun in 1971. The wood target grips were mint-but, I didn't particularly care for the wood graining it had! I'm not sure yet whether or not there is a box or papers to go with this gun? I suspect, maybe not? The only other negative with this Python, is that the owner of this gun, hasn't decided whether he wants to sell it? So, I at least will get a first chance at this Python, in the event the guy will be selling it? I might have to wait a few more days to get this information(As well as for a price-since the gun shop had not yet figured out the prices yet!)?

3)Blue(6-inch)Python: This python had also been fired-but, it appeared to have been fired less than the Nickel(4-inch)Python above? It was in near mint looking condition-with just a trace of a cylinder ring! There was no damage of any kind showing on the finish, nor to the mint wood target grips! The serial number of LA20XX, on this Python, places it also in 1980(But about 6-7 month's prior to the date in 1980 for the Nickel(4-inch)Python)!

Now, assuming no boxes or papers with any of the above three Pythons, how would you assess the values of these guns, with the additional specific information, that I have provided above? None of these three Pythons will be sold, until at least a couple of days(Until this gun shop's audit has been completed!)?

One possible negative, regarding the above blue(6-inch)Python: I don't mean to accuse this gun shop of anything-but, I'm pretty sure that the (6-inch)Python that I had seen today, was substituted in place of the one that I saw yesterday morning? The reason that I believe this, is because the wood Colt target grips on this Python, was the older style that had the checkering that wrapped around the bottom of the grip Colt medallion and,had different graining! The (6-inch)Python that I had looked at today, although it had a similar light wood, it had the straight across checkering under the grip medallion-and, a different wood graining pattern! Also, it didn't even have a trace of a cylinder ring on it! This has always been a reputable shop-but, it is a very high profile gun shop-in a very wealthy neighborhood-so, it's very concievable that some other very important person, had put his dibs on this better looking Python and it had already been hidden away for him(Or, possibly, he had this second 6-inch Python to trade in on this Mint Python?)and, this would have made it very convenient for this gun shop to pull this trick out of their hats? This doesn't make me very happy to know this-but, I guess there are some higher ranking gun customers(Where $$ is no object!)that will get the gravy first!

Anyway, give me your additional input on what you think the values of the above three Python's should be along with any other of your recommendations, for choosing between these? Thanks!

·
Registered
778 Posts

I think you have the most patient gun shop on the planet!

There are very few guns, even so called NIB revolvers that have not been screwed with by the original owner, gun shop owners, clerks, and maybe future owners like yourself that open the cylinder, cock it, etc., unless the shop forbids you to do it, which one of my gun shops does.

We just received three supposedly never sold high end revolvers, Pythons, etc., and they have turn rings, and a scratch here, and there. The factory could have started the turn ring by test fitting the cylinder, and test firing.

If you expect to find all untouched revolvers, be prepared to pay $1,500.00 or more, as a starting price for a Phython, or other collectable revolver.

Most high end gun shops would never think of switching something on a gun to make an extra buck, or please one customer, as against another customer. They do not have that kind of time to waste fooling with every gun in their displays. They would also get caught by a knowlegable customer like myself, or a good many of the other Colt forum members.

You have also not told us what the shop is asking for each of these guns. Without seeing them, no one can appraise them for you. The way you are approaching this, it seems like it will be awhile before you purchase anything.

Good luck in your quest. Untouched 20 to 50 years old guns are like the holy grail.

Bob

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Robba:

1)Thanks for your additional input!

2)Well, I know that you are correct regarding the difficulty in finding the perfect revolver! However, as I had mentioned before, this gun shop was in the middle of an audit. In view of this, they had refused to allow me to look at these three Pythons yesterday morning! The Boss just told me that he couldn't show them to me until this audit was over! I tried to pin them(The Boss and/or his counter clerks!)down on a time that I could come back to be enabled to inspect and to discuss these three Pythons-but, nobody would commit themselves to a time for doing this? So, I just asked them if I could return to see these Pythons upon opening their shop the next morning at 11:00AM(Today!)? They said OK.

3)When I had returned this morning, the Boss was still busy with his audit! however, he wasn't very willing to let me look at these Pythons! I kinda felt like some monkey motion was going on? But, I pushed a little harder by asking him if I could just take time to briefly inspect these Pythons(He reluctantly said OK)! After I had looked at these Pythons, I was trying to corner him just momentarily to discuss a price for these guns? He mumbled that he couldn't do this and he couldn't do that! So next, I told him that I realized that he was busy and if he could just give me his prices written down on his business card, he could just hold these guns for me until he could work with me on my purchasing any of them? Still reluctant, he finally said that he couldn't write anything down because he hadn't priced these Pythons yet and on the blue 4-inch Python, the guy who owns this gun, didn't know if he wanted to sell it(Or, not?)? I responded by asking him if he would just give me the first chance to buy one of these Pythons after he had found out from the owner which Pythons he would be agreeing to sell? He finally agreed to do this-and, this is all I could get out of him! so I left to return back home! I was ready to deal if everything would have went right and I could have picked one of these Pythons after getting some prices for them? It's just the fact that it seemed like I was somehow getting the runaround-and, this is what made me get the idea that maybe this gun shop owner already had somebody else in line for these three Pythons? These Pythons had been rumored to possibly be coming into this gun shop during the last two months! I had previously asked this gun dealer to give me the first option to see and possibly by these Pythons(He said OK!)! The way that he acted, made me feel like he might have promised these Pythons to somebody else that he knew would be willing to pay more $$$ than I wanted to pay(Not entirely improbable!)?

4)I know that nobody can see these three Pythons to aid them in assessing their values! However, all three of these look good-it's just the one blue(4-inch)Python that has not been fired! And, I'm pretty certain that none of these guns have boxes or papers with them! I'd still like to get opinions on the estimated values of these three Pythons with the information that I have added(And, the best one to get for an investment?)? Except for the wood target grips not having the wood coloring and graining that I'd prefer, the 4-inch blue Python is the newest looking Python of the three , because it shows no sign of being fired! Just venturing a guess, I'm sure that the prices are going to be no less than $1,100(Maybe, $1,200?)? Any new input here will be appreciated? It's my decision I know-but, I'll still benefit from hearing whatever else any of the more experienced Colt owner's or collector's might have to say? Thanks again!

·
Registered
778 Posts

You sure do find the wierd gun shops. I have never heard of a audit holding anyone up from showing, or selling something.

Anyway, from $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 is my asessment of the price spread on decent Phytons right now without seeing them. Without the boxes, and papers affects the price somewhat, but it has never kept me from buying a revolver that I want.

I know this, that there are always a group of people the gun shop manager/owner has on call for choice guns. I bought a NIB nickel 4" 22 diamondback from one of our gun shops, and took it into our FFL transfer shop after we picked it up, and showed it to some of the guys there. A lawyer we have seen before was there, and wanted to look at the gun, and asked where we got it. When we told him, he said he had been called about the gun earlier in the day, and didn't think it would walk that quick. He would have bought the gun. Sorry bout that! Joke is I bought it for $150.00 less than he was quoted on the phone.

If you want any of these guns, I would lean on them, and also not try to chisel on the guns much, as it seems like they probably have folks in the wings, that may not quibble much on price.

Hope this helps. Sounds like you are tween a rock, and a hard place.

Good luck, let us know what transpires.

Bob

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Robba:

The problem is that this particular gun shop has never acted in a weird way in the past years that I had done business with them! It's only been in the last few months, that things started changing? I had never had a run in with this gun shop. But, I noticed that everyone in this shop, that had always been warm and friendly towards me suddenly seemed to give me the cold shoulder?

I think that you hit the nail right on the head! The idea of their audit not permitting them to show me any guns yesterday, seemed very strange to me? First, since their OPEN sign was in their front door, this mean't that they were open for business! And, I couldn't ascertain that there would be any harm to their audit, by showing me these Pythons? The auditors were doing their thing and I don't think it would have caused any problems to have shown me these three Pythons? But, at first, I innocently took them at their word! But I think that this was a bunch of BS! I believe that this gun shop had other plans for these Pythons? And, whenever I had returned today to hopefully, finally get a chance to inspect these Pythons, I got some resistance from everyone like they didn't care to be bothered showing me these Pythons(This made me feel very uncomfortable!)? Then, with the follow-up runaround, things began to look very "Fishy" to me!

I believe that this situation at hand, is exactly as you had described about that lawyer being offered the Diamondback 4-inch .22, for $150 more than you had paid! There are other big buck customers in line for the most sought after guns-and, they won't quibble over high prices!

Although I don't know what the outcome is going to be regarding these Pythons, even if I should miss out on getting any of these Pythons, something good might come out of this afterall? Do you remember awhile back, I had posted about a pristine mint older Trooper(4-inch).22 revolver that had a mint box, papers and everything(But, that it was unknown if the owner was going to release this gun to be sold by this same gun shop)? Well, the agreement between this gun shop owner and I, was that he'd give me the first chance at buying this Trooper, if and when, it ever became available for resale? This is the other thing that bothered me whenever I had returned to this gun shop? This Trooper had been put in the gun case and this gun shop owner had promised to call me once this gun became available! Whenever I had walked into this gun shop today, nothing was mentioned about this Trooper? I had to accidentally discover this gun tucked away in the gun case!

When I left this gun shop, I cornered the owner, and pushed him until he committed himself to agreeing to hold this Trooper for me until he could give me his price for it? He reluctantly did this-probably, because I had reminded him of his prior promise to me! So, if nothing else, I'm determined to obtain this unbelieveably mint Trooper .22! I may have to pay through the nose for it under these seemingly "Hostile" conditions-but, I'm going to get this gun one way or another! I think that when the time is right, I'm going to tell this gun shop owner, that although I'll always ask what his best deal will be for any gun; on the very expensive or most desireable guns, I'd not try to chisel his price down-so, for him to not hide his good guns from me simply because he thinks that I'll try to haggle the price with him? Instead I'd prefer that he would just quote me what his best price is, and if I won't want to pay it-then, I'll just pass on it(But, to at least give me an opportunity to see and buy these good guns?)! The catch is that I go to this gun shop at least three times every week looking for guns! This owner had always held back new incomming classic revolvers for me to see first! This suddenly stopped also, without any warning! Each time I had asked him if he had gotten in any good guns(He would say No!)! I first became suspicious whenever I had gone into his shop one day and I had seen a guy picking up a gun box that I had recognized seeing behind the counter a couple of weeks before? At that time I had asked the owner what was in that box and he pointed to an average looking later model 29(4-inch revolver)made in the 1980's! So, I passed on this gun because I didn't want that specific gun! Well I watched this guy picking up this gun box, lifting the lid and inside was an mint new pristine perfect Pre-Model 29 and it was astoundingly the most beautiful S&W .44 magnum revolver that I had ever seen! I would have paid their price for this revolver(Yet, they had deliberately steered me away from ever seeing this revolver!)! This disappointed me because I had always thought that I had a good relationship with this gun shop? Oh well...enough rambling(You get the picture)!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Switching guns or stocks (if he couldn't sell it to you then how did he sell it to someone else). Not having inventory that's on display priced. Having a owner's gun in the display case and the owner hasn't decided whether to sell or not. There are to many strange things going on and that dealer sounds like he's jerking your chain.

·
Registered
778 Posts

I have to agree with Majic, this gun shop is jerking you around.

Have you bought many guns from them? Constant looking, and questioning, by someone without buying is a real turn off for any retailer. Particularly asking for price drops, without purchasing anything.

Our main area gun shop, knows what we like, and will call our attention to a new arrival when we go into the shop, and then will chat, etc. However, we buy guns regularly from them when they have something we want, and we bargain a little without being insulting, and surprisingly they kind of expect that, and most of the time lower the price somewhat, or they will say they had to pay to much for it, so the price stays firm.

Back to the question. What have you bought from this shop in the last year?

Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts