Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a "Blued"(4-inch)Colt Python(.357), I need the following:

1)The DOB, for a serial #T94381?

2)How good(Or, bad?)was the quality level, on Python's of this vintage? Was the quality, as bad as the newest Python's? Please give your opinions? Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
T94381 was made after 1985.
There is no publicly available serial number data after that.

To get a production date, you will have to call Colt.
They will give you a date, but NO other data over the phone.

Once again, there are NO "good" years or "bad" years for guns.
Guns aren't vintages of wine.

Each gun must be evaluated on IT'S individual merits.

I recently was shown a early 2004 Python which, in my professional opinion, is one of the finest quality Pythons I've ever seen.

Buy a gun based on what someone says is a good or bad year, and you'll either buy a dog or pass up a jewel.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then, I don't have to worry that the Python's made in the 1980's(In general!)are not as well made as in the earlier years(Or, at least, in the 1960's to 1970's?)?

If the above is true(And, if the specific 1980's Python, that I'm considering, looks to be a nice Python?)then, am I correct, that I could mostly assume, that this Python should be just as good, as in the earlier years! And, it would not be inferior to these Python's? I want to be sure of this-because, this will be my very first Python? Please comment? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
While I agree with dfw that each gun is an island unto itself, in my opinion, the earlier the gun, the better the quality. My Pre-War National Match is worlds better in fit and finish than my secretary's recent Gold Cup.

I hate to throw cold water on the poster's conclusion that 1980s Pythons will be as nice as 1960s or 1970s Pythons, but, in my opinion, GENERALLY, I have observed that the polishing on UAW-made 1980s Colts is inferior to earlier, and, in most cases, later Colts. The flats are often not flat, the corners are often rounded, and screw holes are sometimes even "pulled" or "dished" out on many of that vintage.

If the poster was able to examine the Python in question close enough to get the serial number, then I would think the quality should have been readily apparent. If this particular gun looks acceptable to the buyer, then it is of sufficient quality to satisy. However, it will not likely measure up to 1950s or 1960s quality. I have first year production Pythons for all three of the original barrel lengths, 6-inch, 4-inch and 2.5-inch, and they are better than most anything made a decade later.

If the poster wants the best Python, then a gun from the 1950s or 1960s probably will be the only choice.

I agree with dfw that some of the current Colts are very nicely made.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The price on this NIB mid(To late)1980's is $800! I didn't want to pay this(Regardless of how good this gun looked!)if this vintage of Python's were not of very good quality(Or worth it?)? It's hard to find Python's here in CA(And, when you do, the prices are usually $950-to $1300!)! I don't want to buy any Python, if it's not considered to be a pretty good one? I know that the 50's & 60's are better(But, how much better, than mid 1980's, in general?)? If I could find an earlier year Python(at a good price?)then, I'd want it instead(But, that might not happen here, in the PRK!)? I just want to get a "Realistic" idea of the quality to be expected from a mid 80's Python(And, if there were any good ones, built in this time frame?)? Please advise, again?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm quite sure someone has seen a really nice model made in the 80s. Most likley it has been stashed away. If it shows again, and the owner knows his Pythons, it will command a greater price than $800. What you have to learn is to compare all the models you find with a critical eye. The question you ask can't really be answered for you to go out and buy on our recommendation. You must pay close attention to detail (use a magnifying glass if possible). Then you will start to see the difference in them. Use your judgement in what's good or not to you as you are out to please only you. The more models you get to examine the better you will get at this, but that takes time. People can tell you all kinds of tips to look for, but until you see it for yourself it's hard to understand. Look for what is as close to perfection in your eye. As been said before you will find extremely good to just average in any vintage. The 1950 to 1960 models generally have a better chance of being in the better fit and finish group, but they also have the advantage of the greater age making them a premium item.
So you have to decide if you want a really nice Python or a really nice OLD Python. If it's the latter then be prepared to pay collectors price. In your part of the country that could run from $1200 to $1500 or more.

I know this probably isn't much help to you, but it all comes down to you spending your money. So to get your money's worth buy what looks the best to you and be happy. If later you see that you could have done better then just upgrade to the more suitable example. You are probably going to make a few dollars on the first Python you bought as the values on them aren't deflating.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Majic:

1)Thanks, for your great input!

2)I have only seen a couple of older 1960's and early 1970's Python's! And, I know that they are superior(If you are lucky enough to find one of these in nice condition?)!

3)I only wanted to consider this late 1980's Python(NIB)if it would be worth it(For $800!)and, if it was possible to still get a pretty good Python of this vintage? You did make a good point, about possibly buying this Python and then hold onto it until I could make a profit selling it(After I have found an earlier model Python)? But(Of course!)the price is going to be outta sight here in the PRK!

4)However, I'd never want to want to buy this 1980's Python, if the general consensus is that this era of Python's are just generally considered to not be of very good quality(Or, are judged to be inferior model's of Python's(Or, are "Unpopular"?)?

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 01-22-2005).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
When you find Pythons from the strike years you place a more critical eye to them, but even then some will still pass the test. So no matter when they were built, just look them over carefully. Some people may overlook models from that era, but some fine revolvers were built then also (just not on a consistant basis).

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I just found out, that this Colt Python that I'm considering to buy, was not made during the Colt "Strike" years(As it was made in 1990, instead)! I had hoped, that it would have been a little older(At least?)than 1990? Yikes!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 01-26-2005).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts