Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,535 Posts
That looks like a very late 1st gen in 44-40 and it is in very nice condition! And with a highly desirable 4-3/4" barrel. Please don't have such a nice gun engraved. Find something of lesser value. That gun is probably worth as much in its present condition than it will be after it is engraved.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it is. Have two letters on this gun. I purchased the gun and had it inspected. It is in 85 percent condition. The issue is I sold the gun for around 7 thousand. The gentleman put some very bad fitting ivory on the gun. I purchased it back and sent it to nutmeg to have one peice ivory installed because the man lost the Origional grips. They were perfect and matching numbers. Bore is a 10 along with action. But no longer has Origional grips.it is 44 40 and 4 3/4 and is one of a few made with two serial numbers it was shipped end of December 1919. Very fine gun. And minty .other than grips. Its listed on the for sale section. But will likely have it engraved.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
There are several engravers out there and depending on what you want done and style is how your going to go. Price of work is also a factor. I have always have had great work done by Adams and Adams and he always goes out of his way to make it special for you. I had a gun done and he added extra for me at no cost. The front sight and hammer along with screws engraved for free of charge. You may want to speak to them personally and discuss the style your looking for and coverage. Go from there. good luck on what you decide.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I like there work .. I just contacted them. Seems like alot of folks don't like the Idea of engraving the gun. Maybe I should let the guys make the decision. Please send yes or no guys for engraving.

·
Premium Member
20,535 Posts
Not having the original grips will not hurt the value of the gun since it has great ivory grips on it. The gun is still all original as far as most collectors would see it. There were very, very few 4-3/4" SAA's in that era that were made with that type of barrel markings. To literally destroy it with any type of embellishment would be a grave error.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Wrong gun to engrave. No mater who does the engraving it will make it worth less not more. Or if you are really lucky it will end up being worth just what you have into the engraving price of the gun will be lost.

I love John Adams' work, wonder gentlemen to work with and I'd highly recommend them...but not on this gun. Eventually that ivory will age and may be look look better to some on that gun. But I like it as is....some ivory just doesn't age that quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Extreme No vote on engrave...love ivory....but I would work hard to get the right era grips back on this fine Colt...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a standing 500 offer to the gentlemen who lost the grips. He can not find them anywhere. The grips were numbered to the gun and were Excellent. They will likely never be found to complete the gun. I would never install another set of hard rubber for fear of someone else passing it on as all origional. That is also why I added one piece. If engraved it would never pass as all origional. 20151208_183208_resized_3-2.jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I purchased the gun I payed to have the gun inspected. I posted the letter in this discussion. Trust me guys it kills me not having the original grips.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I vote no on the engraving. Find yourself a well worn second generation to have engraved.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The gentleman put some very bad fitting ivory on the gun. I purchased it back and sent it to nutmeg to have one peice ivory installed because the man lost the Origional grips. They were perfect and matching numbers. Bore is a 10 along with action. But no longer has Origional grips.it is 44 40 and 4 3/4 and is one of a few made with two serial numbers it was shipped end of December 1919. Very fine gun. And minty .other than grips. Its listed on the for sale section. But will likely have it engraved.
Man, this is crazy nutzzz!!

You're obviously very pissed about the grips (and so would I). But now you want to ruin the gun by engraving it?

Million

dollar

question.

Why did you buy the gun back from the guy!!!!!!!!!!??????????

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just because !!!!!!! Why would anyone buy such a old gun ! :rolleyes: I did buy it back at a discounted price. I will buy new but it must look like a old one !!!!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I personally would not engrave it. The gun is in great shape for its age. This being said a few things you have to consider. First it's your gun. If you like it obviously you do since you purchased it back, you can do what you want with it. If you want it engraved and that is how you want to own it then be it man. Never mind saving it for someone else after you leave this world. Enjoy it the way you want to. You paid for it and it is yours. We can say what we want and suggest how we feel but at the end of the day it is yours and how you feel you want to enjoy it. So I say this, enjoy it, love to shoot it, engrave it if you wish but at last be proud to own it. Good luck on what you decide.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts