Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, first post. Please Be kind.
If there's a place to find this info, please direct me.

i need help with two things.
1. Identification
.375 H&H Mag - L61R - No. 52xxxx
ive checked on a few sites; Wilson and the colt site and one other... can't remember the name...

2. I bought a new scope - Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback BDC.
But I can't mount the sucker because the front of the scope butts up to the barrel and won't seat in the scope rings.

change the rings you say. Easy fix. Right?
No go. Seems the scope rail on this barrel is tapered... not a single set of the rings I have will fit. What the heck.

Help. Where can I find rings for this gun?

i can post pics if needed.

Thanks everyone!
-mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Second question - for more general. How far off the barrel should the scope set? I got the rings, pricey buggers, $66. Now the scope seats properly but the scope is about the width of a piece of paper off the barrel. Should this concern me? Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Second question - for more general. How far off the barrel should the scope set? I got the rings, pricey buggers, $66. Now the scope seats properly but the scope is about the width of a piece of paper off the barrel. Should this concern me? Thoughts?

You want the scope as close to the barrel as you can reasonably get it but the size of the objective lens will dictate that. The closer to the barrel the less adjustments are needed...particularly as range increases. As long as you have clearance and can comfortably shoulder the rifle and see through the scope you're good to go.

Reactions: old tanker

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
The scope adjustments, 1/4" @ 100 yards or whatever, won't change with, but the higher the scope is mounted the more bullet impact will be off if the rifle is canted. While this isn't much of a problem at normal hunting ranges, the longer the distance the more bullet impact is moved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great rifle. That's a lot of magnification though, for a .375 H&H.....
lol. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance! Why on gods green earth would you want less magnification? .375 can reach out and touch something. If you know what I mean. Granted most of my shots are in the 150-300 range. I've not the talent to accurately place a shot at 1000 yds. I thought this scope was pretty nice for this application. ;)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Should work with a bit of shim as mentioned as long as it clears the bolt handle.Keep the scope set at 4-6x so you have a decent field of view and crank it up once you're on target

·
Registered
40 Posts
Transferml

They are a great rifle, one of the best made Sako's, people actively look for them here in the UK because they are a high qulaity rifle. much better than the newer ones 75, 85 etc
I have one in .270 shot a lot of deer, even bear.

Re the scope mounts, the rail is tapered so in theory the mounts get tighter with recoil? Apel (expensive)certianly make mounts I had mine fitted by a gunsmith that works on rifles
They are swing off and I have an 8x56 so clearance between scope and barrel is not an issue with the corect rings.

Personally I would aviod shimming of any sort just get the correct mounts and rings, I am sure they are widely avaliable via the web

Hope that helps

Dodge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.