Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like your help please. My brother wants me to sell this revolver for him. We don't know where to start on price.

It's an Officers Model Heavy Barrel that has been worked on by Kings Gunworks I assume.

The vented rib says "Colt-King Super Target." The front sight is very unique, and I'll post a photo below to show you what I mean. The trigger is excellent. Feels like an early Python trigger. timing is perfect. Finish wear is about 80% remaining. Serial number (what I find in the yoke area) is 475305.

Any help on approximate date of manufacture and a price range would be appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sight rib has a polished metal disk insert to reflect light up onto a shiny brass insert on the face of the front sight blade.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Drifter,
If that's the right number the Mfg. date would be 1922 for a OMT second issue.

Problem is that Colt did not come out with the Heavy Barrel till 1935 so it may have been changed at the time the King work was done. Also the grips are not correct for 1922 or 1935 Colt. It's hard to put a value on a gun like this because of it not being as Mfg. by Colt, but to some it may be worth more than a standard OMT.

IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drifter721:
Would like your help please. My brother wants me to sell this revolver for him. We don't know where to start on price.

It's an Officers Model Heavy Barrel that has been worked on by Kings Gunworks I assume.

The vented rib says "Colt-King Super Target." The front sight is very unique, and I'll post a photo below to show you what I mean. The trigger is excellent. Feels like an early Python trigger. timing is perfect. Finish wear is about 80% remaining. Serial number (what I find in the yoke area) is 475305.

Any help on approximate date of manufacture and a price range would be appreciated.

Thank you!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Oh, Boy, Drifter! You KNOW what they say about opinions?! So, here's mine ... I love it! I'd never seen one of those King front sights until on these pages a few posts ago. The good news is Colts always bring a nice price and they're getting even more scarce, seems to me. In Kansas USA, in the two or three gun shops I frequent, I'm sure it would be tagged $350 to $450. The problem will be it's,"just a .38," and it seems to me most customers want magnums. And it's altered ... for better or worse, it's not factory and that lets out a lot of collectors. What you need is a .38 bullseye shooter that wears out of fashion jeans, smokes cigars no matter who's around and farts indiscriminately - a real Man's man! If I picked it up locally and liked the action, I'd probably offer $250 and see what happens. Hope this helps some?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the guidance guys. Much appreciated!

"What you need is a .38 bullseye shooter that wears out of fashion jeans, smokes cigars no matter who's around and farts indiscriminately - a real Man's man!"

Too funny. Hey, that sounds like me and my brother....well, at least the jeans, smokes, and farts part! Shouldn't have to cast a net too very far to find a buyer.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Drifter
Drop me an e-mail. I might be interested.

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Drifter,
That's what King called a reflector base. They were also available as replacemant ramps which are seen much more often than the full rib that you have. The hole in the hammer was probably also done at the time. A relative had a Colt SAA King altered gun that had 3 holes drilled in the hammer.
Given the less than perfect condition of the gun, I think the King options would add a pretty fair amount to the value at this point to a collector. Most collectors aren't interested in a 80% standard gun unless it's a very rare model. With the King options,this gun is still very desirable to certain collectors, you don't see very many guns with the full King rib installed.

------------------
Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's a King reflector base on a 1937 OMT. It also has a King rear sight but doesn't use the King rib. The original grips have been replaced with Ropers.

This gun is in at least 95% condition and also came with the tattered original numbered box.

When I saw this gun I posted about it on the S&W forum asking if it was worth $650. I got a resounding "yes" from a couple guys including Barrocky.

I don't usually like to buy collectible guns that have been altered but this gun appeals to me because of the alterations. I believe the sights and stocks were probably added shortly after the gun was originally sold. You don't see them like this everyday. It's a keeper.

Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts