Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired this Colt revolver. I believe it to be a Police Positive 38SP, but the rest is a mistery. It would appear the the revolver has an one time been chrome plated. There are no markings on the barrel, the markings on the butt or rather strange. What I am able to see, is the No. (one in about the middle and the other towards the bottom) and a a couple of numbers (11) but there is a proofmark in the shape of an anchor above the No. mark. Its a nicely done hallmark but I have no idea what it means. I tried to take a pic but it didn't turn out, I'll keep trying but here are a couple of shots of the revolver. Thanks for your help! Is there any other place that I should look for a SN? P2080167.jpg P2080162.jpg P2080168.jpg

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If it is a Police Positive Special it is a 1908 first year of production but it cant be with that cylinder.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The pistol appears to be an old Colt New Army/Navy Model, ( Military Issue )

its been fitted with a set of later stocks, probably Per-war, Official Police Model wood

Also, it looks like its been buffed like crazy and nickel plated .....

Caliber is very likely to be .38 Long Colt and NOT .38 Spl

So have it checked out before shooting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pistol appears to be an old Colt New Army/Navy Model, ( Military Issue )

its been fitted with a set of later stocks, probably Per-war, Official Police Model wood

Also, it looks like its been buffed like crazy and nickel plated .....

Caliber is very likely to be .38 Long Colt and NOT .38 Spl

So have it checked out before shooting.
When you say STOCKS do you mean the grips? Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sematics, and I am an old fart. Got too much other stuff to try and keep up with that being potitically correct with gun parts. No offense intended.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
I do indeed ...... I do it because it makes the Old Farts around here happy (er)
I represent that!

Note to strtrdr: we old farts use the term "stocks" because that is what Colt used for over a century, and still uses in factory letters. As I like to say, bicycles have grips, Colts have stocks. And it really does make me happy to hear that beautiful word!

The gun is a badly refinished New Navy.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,059 Posts
Thanks!! Can anyone tell me what these grips may be from and are there original grips available?
The stocks (I am an old fart) are from a pre war Officers Model Target or Official Police. Original stocks for your gun are the hard rubber variety and it will take some looking. After market replacements are available. These would be close: Colt Model 1896 Revolver.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Don't be too upset about the incorrect stocks as they have value for trade or sale themselves. From an old fart.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
To misquote an ad on GunBroker but it's close enough you have a " Metal Gun with Wood Handles". Now THAT was a description :) > Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I represent that!

Note to strtrdr: we old farts use the term "stocks" because that is what Colt used for over a century, and still uses in factory letters. As I like to say, bicycles have grips, Colts have stocks. And it really does make me happy to hear that beautiful word!

The gun is a badly refinished New Navy.
OK, I understand, I have learned something new today :>) STOCKS they are! Are they called the same on the automatics as well? Thanks you all for your valuable information!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts