Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone who can repair/rebuild the hammer notches on a Hammerli Virginian .357 S.A.A. Colt clone. I'd be thrilled to find a replacement but since only about 3,000 of these were made in the early and mid 70's, that's probably a long shot at best. The hammer is visually similar to a Colt S.A.A. but varies slightly.

Any leads on a gunsmith who might be able to help will be greatly appreciated as will any leads on a possible replacement hammer!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Rebuilding a hammer consists of welded up the notches and re-cutting them if I'm not mistaken. Number of gunsmiths on this forum can do that. Just because it's not an exact Colt copy doesn't mean a Colt SAA smith can;' do the work.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sir!

If you happen to have any names, I would be grateful.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim Cornwall was working on it but unfortunately, he had an accident and was never able to recover. He passed away a few days ago. He was a very nice guy. We've lost a good one.

I have the hammer which he had partially completed. I'm trying to find someone who might be able to finish the job. Before his accident, Jim had told me some of the required welding had been completed. However, he was going to have to send it back to the welder to have some additional metal added. He had his accident before he was able to get that done. As it stands now, the hammer will require some additional welding before the cam can be replaced and the new notches cut.

Rest in peace Jim.

Reactions: saintclair

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Let us know what you find out
Vic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts