Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently accuired what I believe to be a colt commander, everything has been taken off by the previous owner, it's an old Colt that has had most markings rubbed off and now I cannot tell what caliber barrel to get for the slide. Can anyone offer assistance?

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
Photos?

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
The machining on the slides of 38 Super and 9mm is exactly the same. Only the roll stamps on the exterior are different. If the breech face is small like a super or 9mm then you could use either barrel with the slide. If the breech face is 45ACP size then you need a barrel for a 45. Those are the only choices. However if the slide is not a Colt it could be anything. I might suggest if you aren't sure then polish the one side, maintaining the flat surface to a high degree. Then using a mild nitric acid solution raise the original markings. You can use a battery to accelerate the solutions working with alligator clips and cotton and work it back and forth and some of the original markings will be partially restored. Goggle "acid restoration of obliterated numbers". You can also use hydrochloric Acid but my experience when doing that on stolen engines and auto parts was that nitric worked a bit better and never used a battery with hydrochloric.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
As above, if it's a Colt Commander it has to be either a .45acp, 9mm, or possibly a .38 Super.

As JohnnyP stated, if the serial number has been defaced or removed from the frame it's a Federal Felony crime to possess.

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
If the pistol really is a Commander, the frame will be alloy and the serial number cannot be "raised" as described.

I THINK the OP MAY mean that the SLIDE markings are removed, which MAY mean that the serial number had not been removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts