Colt Forum banner

Need help identifying old Don Hume holster

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  XLPPD603 
#1 ·
I've got a nice old Don Hume holster and I'm hoping someone here can tell me what it fits.

I bought it with a couple other old holsters figuring it would fit SOMETHING in my collection. Thus far I'm stumped.

The holster is a belt holster, right-handed, black, and made of leather with a basketweave pattern. It has a snap retention strap, and is constructed to hold the gun away from the body.

The holster is stamped on the back: H703 NO.15 4"

It's also marked "Don Hume", then beneath that "Maker", and on a 3rd line "Miami, Okla", all contained within an oval-shaped outline.

I was hoping it would fit my 4" barreled S&W model 15, but it doesn't seem to want to fit ANY of my revolvers. Could this be for a semi-auto?

#3 ·
For now you can see an eBay listing that explains all.

H703 10-5 HUME Jordan Police Gun Holster COLT 1911 45 Govt 5" KIMBER SPRINGFIELD | eBay

Here's a pic from it, for posterity:

View attachment 43833

I'm more of a revolver guy so when I don't have a 4" barreled 1911 to try in the holster. The closest I can get to a Commander is a Kahr P45. (I know, I know... ), the Kahr mostly, kinda fits. Still hoping for an official pronouncement of what gun the holster is actually made for.

#8 ·
May be for a Browning High Power. I've owned several Hume rigs over the years and they were all real good, solid stuff. The reason for the double snaps on the retention strap was to allow the user to strap behind a lowered hammer or in front of a hammer that's cocked & locked. You'd be surprised how many agencies made their officers carry 1911-style pistols with the hammer down back in the day. They were more PR conscious than officer-safety conscious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.