Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am having a hell of a time identifying what model this AR-15 is exactly. History is it was given to my father as a gift from Colt Industries when he retired as President of their Kentucky plant in the early 1980's. I have called Colt customer service directly, but after waiting 10 min for the rep to find the serial, he asked me to call back next Tuesday because that's apparently when they have their Archival expert on staff. He said he can't find any models listed in that specific serial range.

Here's the specs:

Colt AR-15 HBAR Sporter
Caliber .223
Serial SP 2270xx
Tasco 3-9x scope
Colt cheeckpiece
Bayonet lug
20" barrel length

Closest thing I can match the specs to is this, but the "Delta" is not listed on the info punched into the frame:

Colt model no.NameStockFire controlRear sightForward assistCase deflectorBarrel lengthBarrel profileBarrel twistHand guardsBayonet LugMuzzle device

R6600DHAR-15A2
Delta
HBAR
(bundled
w/ Tasco
3–9x
scope
and
cheekpiece)
A2 S-1 A2 Yes Yes 20 in. HBAR 1:7 Ribbed Yes A2

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Colt_AR-15_variants)

Thanks in advance, here are some pics:

IMG_6146.JPG IMG_6148.JPG IMG_6149.JPG IMG_6150.JPG IMG_6151.JPG

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
It's definitely a Colt Delta H-Bar. The Delta medallions on the grip is the only way it identifies as a Delta H-Bar. I've no idea what model number it was. It was quite the hot ticket when it came out in the 1980's. I would think it carries some significant value to a collector. Practically, it has little over current offerings as technology has improved so much in optics, etc.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
It's definitely a Colt Delta H-Bar. The Delta medallions on the grip is the only way it identifies as a Delta H-Bar. I've no idea what model number it was. It was quite the hot ticket when it came out in the 1980's. I would think it carries some significant value to a collector. Practically, it has little over current offerings as technology has improved so much in optics, etc.
What he said +1. And welcome to the forum from KY!
-Craig

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

The rifle is either a Match Delta HBAR, or a "made-up" Match Delta HBAR, made by adding Delta parts to a regular HBAR. There should be an aluminum case and outer box with the gun, if a complete original package. Deltas are found with or without a bayonet lug, depending on the age. The model number for a Match Delta HBAR is R6600DH.

I am surprised that the Delta stickers are still on the subject rifle. Mine fell off in the safe and, much to my dismay, were lost.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Welcome!

I agree with the other members, your rifle seems to be the model R6600DH AR-15A2 Delta HBAR, with the same accessories you have, they were produced from around 1987 to 1990.

It should have the markings same as the standard HBAR "AR-15A2 HBAR SPORTER" with the SP serial number prefix.

I used to have an older standard model 6600 A2 HBAR Sporter rifle I bought new in 1986 which I mostly used for DCM (CMP now) rifle competition.

In 1991 up to 1992 they replaced the 6600DH Delta HBAR model with the R6601DH model marked "Sporter Match HBAR" with different serial number prefix, no bayonet lugs and some few later production of HBAR rifles the prefix SP was also used again.

Do you have the picture of the markings on the left side of the mag well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SnidelyWhiplash: Thanks Bud, I did show it to a friend and yeah he confirmed the optic technology available today is leaps and bounds above this scope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JudgeColt: Thanks for the welcome! Yes it is in it's original aluminum case, but no cardboard box so I guess it can't be considered a "complete" original set. We only took it out of it's case as a child on a handful of occasions, so I'm guessing thats why the Delta sticker is still intact

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AR15_1911: It does indeed have that marking on it with a SP serial. Any ideas on getting the best sale price for this (other than this site of course and possibly gunbroker.com)

FullSizeRender.jpg

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
AR15_1911: It does indeed have that marking on it with a SP serial. Any ideas on getting the best sale price for this (other than this site of course and possibly gunbroker.com)

View attachment 181073
Thanks for the picture, that reminded me of my old standard A2 HBAR rifle that I mostly used for DCM (now CMP) rifle competition back in the day when I was younger and still single, those were the good old days for sure.

I have not looked at current prices lately but the last ones I'd seen was several years ago a complete Delta A2 HBAR with the original accessories like yours in excellent condition sold for around $2K.

The market for those pre ban are states in the Northeast that banned current models but allows only pre ban, probably CT if I'm not mistaken, and dealers there doubles the prices of either complete rifles or lower receivers.

Try to check Blue Book of Gun Values first before settling on your selling price, if you're selling it to a gun ban state probably double the price for a start, then go lower from there with the highest offer.

Those high capacity magazines you shown in your pictures might not be legal in those ban states, ask the buyer if they are legal to own there otherwise just send them one 10 round mag.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those look like standard capacity magazines to me. If they're the same age as the rifle, they may be grandfathered in to states that haven't banned standard capacity mags. Although some of the older 20-round mags are worth $$$ to collectors, too, depending on who made them and when.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice Delta, that would be MD [and maybe NJ and CT?] compliant and may command a premium price given completeness and condition. Depending on the ffl they may allow the mags as they are part of the rifle's 'original accessories/parts'; plus you can tell from the anodizing/wear on the 30rd mags that they are period correct preban.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Never could figure out why they put Tasco glass on these?
No sniper in their right mind would put that on an HBar.
Like looking thru a pop bottle as my buddy says.

Chuck

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Never could figure out why they put Tasco glass on these?
No sniper in their right mind would put that on an HBar.
Like looking thru a pop bottle as my buddy says.

Chuck
Maybe Colt was ahead of the curve of so many products on the market today...it didn't have to be tactical...it only has to look tactical! Besides...like so many law enforcement agencies and companies...they all use the same brand..."Low Bid".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts