Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I stumbled across these two Pythons today and need some help.

The first is a bright stainless steel early 80s 4". It comes with the original box and paperwork. It looks very clean and the box looks legit.

The next is a 4" blued Python from 1961. It also comes with the "original" box, paper test target and tool. It is in pretty good shape as well and has some honest wear on the tip of the barrel. My question on this one is the box. What do you guys think? I thought it might be a fake but wanted to get confirmation.

What do you guys think these are worth? I'm thinking of making an offer on both. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I literally had to beg to take them. Thanks again guys.

Z

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Vehicle Car Bumper Auto part Model car

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
The 4" blue Python is authentic, including the box, label and target. The photos of the Python are not good enough for me to offer an assessment of value. But, finding a 1961 Python with box and target, is pretty darned special.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Both look to have original packaging. Both look nice but hard to tell condition of the guns. Looks like they are in a shop so I don't see you getting a great deal. If you are working on one or the other go for the blue gun if you can get it under $3000 maybe even a little more depending on condition. Actually could be a lot more depending on condition. I wouldn't spend $4k on the stainless but that's just me I'm sure someone would

·
Registered
229 Posts
Without a doubt the blue gun has the correct signed test target. The box on the BSTS gun is correct. The box for the blue gun is probably correct, but I thought they used a White Sharpie to write the serial number on the bottom of the box. One of the experts will know if the brown Sharpie was also used. Both guns look nice, but it's hard to tell for sure in the pics. In my opinion, it's hard to beat the smooooth action and light trigger pull of an early Pre-CNC Python. But a BSTS 4" isn't exactly easy to find at a good price. Use your negotiation skills and get the pair for under $6,000 and you did well if the 61 box is correct.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Wow those are both amazing finds! You should def try to get both if possible. Yes, that box is correct and the black marker was used on those early 60's boxes (appears to be brown from aging), the white grease pen was used on the later black bottom with red inside boxes.

·
Registered
625 Posts
FYI, a few things that 61' is missing to be an original complete package is. The brown wax paper, handling the gun pamphlet, manila envelope with cleaning rod/brush, 125th Anniversary round keychain and warranty card. Just going by what you stated it came with, if they are there even better and if not originals can be found to make it complete. It certainly has the most important original items, box and test target.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Get the 4" blued and happily grow old with it. JMHO.
Agreed. I think you probably have a bit more wiggle room on the blued due to honest finish wear. The barrel, underlug and cylinder finish wear take the value down and your decision will be " how much is a cardboard box and test target worth to me?". Take the box and target away and evaluate the gun by itself, how much are you willing to spend on a well used revolver? As stated before, looks like you're dealing retail, there won't be a lot of discount, if any, you'll see unless the owners don't have a computer and no clue what day it is ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger on the 1961 today (pardon the pun). Didn't pick up the BSTS as the seller didn't move on his price on either. I am putting it up in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Still on my quest for my elusive 1978. Thanks again for all the help.

Z

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.