Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
chance go buy. They are: 1) 4" Diamondback (blue) LNIB, box 97%, all paperwork, 2) 6" Diamondback (blue) LNIB, box 75-80%, all paperwork, 3) 2 1/2" Diamondback.22lr (blue) LNIB, box and paperwork, 4) 2" Lawman MKIII, LNIB (nickel) box and paperwork. Unfortunately, I can't post pictures at this time. Opinions?

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Look at the realized sale section for these on 'gunbroker' - not the asking prices.

It'll give you a clear idea of what they actually sell for.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I buy and sell guns around here and use the Gunbroker "completed auctions" for real world prices. It's a good tool.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.... He wants 1700.00 for the 4" Diamondback and 1800.00 for the 6" Diamondback. As I mentioned earlier, the guns are as new with minimal wear on the boxes. Opinions on his asking prices.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, he's done his homework...

The big question is whether you want to pay retail.
I agree, he definitely wants retail or even high retail. I found a 4" Diamondback that sold for 1375.00 on Gunbroker while he wants 1700.00. He appears to be 20-25% high on all of his stuff. While everything is LNIB, absolutely beautiful collector grade, I am going to let them sit while I look else where. Maybe he will become a little more realistic with his pricing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can anyone tell me the year serial number P01319 was made? It is for the 4" Diamondback. Thanks.
Are you sure that prefix letter isn't an N rather than a P? I'm not aware of any Diamondback serial numbers having a P prefix letter. If it is an N, it would date to 1976 per proofhouse.com.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
In the age-old dance of trade, it is the sellers job to get the highest price he can get, it is the buyers job to get the lowest. If he is going higher than Gunbroker (already the highest prices possible for in demand guns), he's hoping for a slam dunk. If they're common guns, that commonly sell on international online auctions, just tell him you're not going to pay that. If he sells on GB, he has to pay fees, then pay an FFL to ship, then have to package it up well, then wait for the buyer to report he's satisfied with the condition. That knocks about 20% off the price he "gets" on Gunbroker/Ebay right there. If you have cash in hand, wave it at him and ask if he wants to go through all that trouble for a little bit more. If he is firm - walk. He can find another sucker, and you can find another gun.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Ask him how long he's had them. If he says less than 7 years, he is probably trying to recoup the super high prices he paid. Now that the hyperbolic price bubbles have stopped, or even peaked, it's not the time to buy higher than the going rate, hoping for future gain. He probably sees the writing on the wall, and wants out with some of his cash back.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure that prefix letter isn't an N rather than a P? I'm not aware of any Diamondback serial numbers having a P prefix letter. If it is an N, it would date to 1976 per proofhouse.com.
It is definitely P01319. Someone said they thought it was a 1967. If so, does they early year (4) digit serial number help the value or collectibility ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
It is definitely P01319. Someone said they thought it was a 1967. If so, does they early year (4) digit serial number help the value or collectibility ?
Look here----> Diamondback

You'll see there are no "P" prefix serial numbers and those manufactured in 1967 have serial numbers with a "D" prefix.

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Look here----> Diamondback

You'll see there are no "P" prefix serial numbers and those manufactured in 1967 have serial numbers with a "D" prefix.
So how do I find out if it is a legit gun? What Colts started with a P prefix? Could this be a gun that someone re-barreled to make it appear to be a Diamondback? Also, the box has a typed label and not a hand written label. I have bought from this person before and the guns checked out. The serial number is on both the crane and the frame. Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts