Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am stepping out of my comfort zone from the colt revolvers, so I need a little help. I came across a 1903 .32 in decent shape, appears to be blued if that sounds right. Some muzzle and slide wear is present probably from shooting and carrying. Bore and rifling look good. Needs a good cleaning, but not a big deal. Everything looks original, but not completely certain of what to look for. Serial #157603, puts it somewhere around 1913. LGS is asking $600, but I think I could get it for less if I pushed hard enough. Any help on value and things to look for would be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
That thing is a type III. It should have black rubber grip panels (the ones with the straight border above an below 'COLT', not the 'scalloped' border). Checkered walnut was optional but not standard till later. The magazine would be 2-tone, crimped baseplate and marked 'Colt .32 cal.' in some fashion.
There are dozens of guys here who know more about these than I do.
The value is pretty much what you are willing to pay. $600 is not out of line for a gun in good condition. Pics would help.

·
Registered
419 Posts
make sure it has a colt magazine. no aftermarket will work. wooden stocks are ok. 600.00 is a litte high, try for 450.00. if it doesn't have the correct magazine, take another 100 off the 450 offer. if everything else looks good, it'll be good. these little guns are like happy pills. you'll find yourself grinning everytime you shoot it. And just a warning, if you buy one, you'll have to have more.
make sure it has a COLT magazine. oh, and if I forgot, make sure it has a COLT MAGAZINE.
magazine doesn't need to be two-toned, or marked, as type one magazines aren't and will work in a type III. the colt crimps are long rectangles, two to a side. a magazine that's pinned should be ok. aftermarket mags have little round crimps, two, sometimes three.

Reactions: 1911GUY

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
make sure it has a colt magazine. no aftermarket will work. wooden stocks are ok. 600.00 is a litte high, try for 450.00. if it doesn't have the correct magazine, take another 100 off the 450 offer. if everything else looks good, it'll be good. these little guns are like happy pills. you'll find yourself grinning everytime you shoot it. And just a warning, if you buy one, you'll have to have more.
make sure it has a COLT magazine. oh, and if I forgot, make sure it has a COLT MAGAZINE.
magazine doesn't need to be two-toned, or marked, as type one magazines aren't and will work in a type III. the colt crimps are long rectangles, two to a side. a magazine that's pinned should be ok. aftermarket mags have little round crimps, two, sometimes three.
Easy for you to say. I suspect that certain things are more reradily available in the southwest. More the loss for the rest of us. A friend used to go to University of Okaloma nearly ever spring, and he was able to aquire decent examples of equipment at a bargain price that is either expensive or unobtainable in these parts.
I agree. The mag has to be Colt. Preferably, the correct Colt mag for the year. Preferably correct grips for the year. As always, less conditon, less money.

I am in pursiut of a correct type IV(1933 mfg) 1908 .380 mag( 2-tone crimped, marked), and a correct 2-tone for a type III. I'm fat on unmarked type I's. All mine are early pinned and work well.

ps. non-colt non original mags can be made to work, but you might have to fool around with 'em with a file & ball pein hammer & dowel a lot to make 'em reliable. Springs and followers can be a problem with 'em as well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I picked one up a couple of years ago for $425 so the 450-475 range should be about right. And as texasleaguer said, make sure it's a colt factory magazine.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help. I will probably be going by the shop to take another look at the piece tomorrow. Keep you posted on my decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts