Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This gun was given to a friend by his grandfather and he's interested in getting some information about this weapon.

As you can see in the last picture, the serial number appears as 38732-LW. I tried Colt's Serial Number Lookup tool. Entering the serial number like that returns no results. However, if I only enter 38732, there are about 30 results. Most I can obviously exclude because of the gun type listed. However, two of the results are:

• 1946 - SUPER .38 MODEL INCLUDING SUPER MATCH .38
  • 1942 - COMMANDO

Further, when I look up the serial at Proofhouse under Combat Commander, it shows that model started 1957 with serial number 38450LW.

Perhaps the results on the Colt site show when models were first introduced and not the year of actual production.

I'm not sure I'm looking up the right model and, consequently, I'm not sure what year it was made.

Any insight and help would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Looks like 1957 it is. I checked your data with the info in the "COLT An American Legend" book by Wilson and that is the date it gives. 38450LW-39199LW were made in 1957. I have one from 1951 also in .38 Super. A picture:

007.jpg

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Look like a very good condition 1957 Colt Commander in .38 Super still in original configuration, with Coltwood plastic stocks that have shrunk.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
FYI...you have to remove the hyphen when you enter it in the Colt web site (38732LW)
This will return a 1957 Commander

Too bad about all the shrinkage on the RH grip...very typical of those grips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks like 1957 it is. I checked your data with the info in the "COLT An American Legend" book by Wilson and that is the date it gives. 38450LW-39199LW were made in 1957. I have one from 1951 also in .38 Super.
Thanks for the information. Can you confirm this model is called "Colt Commander"? Looking around the web, I've found some guns labeled Lightweight Commander.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look like a very good condition 1957 Colt Commander in .38 Super still in original configuration, with Colt wood stocks that have shrunk.
Is it possible the grips are some kind of plastic? When I removed them to clean the gun, they did not appear to be wood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI...you have to remove the hyphen when you enter it in the Colt web site (38732LW)
This will return a 1957 Commander

Too bad about all the shrinkage on the RH grip...very typical of those grips.
Thanks. I should have thought of that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone have any idea what this gun might sell for? My friend may be interested in selling it to fund a new shotgun.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
1) Despite the 'LW" suffix, this model is called the "Commander" in the 70's when the all steel Combat Commander was introduced..the Coltalloy framed Commanders officially became the Lightweight Commanders from that point forward...these older Commanders are often incorrectly called Lightweight Commanders.
2) The grips are plastic...they are made from a material that Colt called "Coltwood"...go figure :)
3) Could easily sell for $1500.00 or more depending on where it is listed for sale...does he have the box"

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Actually by 1957 the use of true "Coltwood" (thermo-set plastic) grips would have been discontinued and replaced by injection molded plastic grips. These later grips are notorious for shrinkage and cracking so I suspect that is what is on the pistol pictured as they appear to have shrunk until they cracked...typical for those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1) Despite the 'LW" suffix, this model is called the "Commander" in the 70's when the all steel Combat Commander was introduced..the Coltalloy framed Commanders officially became the Lightweight Commanders from that point forward...these older Commanders are often incorrectly called Lightweight Commanders.
2) The grips are plastic...they are made from a material that Colt called "Coltwood"...go figure :)
3) Could easily sell for $1500.00 or more depending on where it is listed for sale...does he have the box"

Hope this helps...

Very helpful. Thank you.
I think he said he has the box and manual. He's out of town so I don't know for sure. I assume the box will increase the value?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The front and rear sights do not appear to be original. The Commander series had similar front and rear sights to those of the Govt. Models of the day( shorter and smaller).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts