Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 4 inch stainless Python from a buddy a couple of years ago. He told me that someone named Grant Cunningham worked on the gun. The trigger is very smooth and light compared to my factory snub python. I am looking to sell it along with other guns. Did a Google search and turns out he's a pretty well known gunsmith and involved with Kimber and nighthawk revolvers.

Usually when selling a gun places like Cabela's and gun stores will say that a gun that has been worked on will have reduced value. Any idea what I should ask for it? I apologize if I posted in the wrong forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You're looking at a nice shooter pricing.

The aftermarket grips are worth about 250-300 less than the originals and you have a mixed/non-standard set of after market sights. These aftermarket changes will definitely detract from any collector value. As always, the actual price of customization is not often realized when selling.

Without provenance, the work as to being by Grant Cunningham is only hearsay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have paperwork for the work somewhere and have the original parts as well as the box. Thanks for the reply. I'll check around.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Could be the lighting, but I get the impression that this is an electroless nickel gun and not stainless. The nickel plated sight pins are another indication.

that was my first thought but upon closer examination both front and rear site have been changed ....and it has a serrated cylinder release....so i assumed whoever replaced the front site used plated pins .....also assumed since he said he had the box he knew what he had....but since you brought it up maybe he can confirm its SS since that makes a huge price difference

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's stainless. It looks a bit shiny because I used some metal polish on it. I have the original sights, all parts replaced by Grant, grips (black rubber medallion grips). My buddy said he has paperwork from grant when he got the gun back. Found an interested buyer - I'll see what he offers when he handles the gun.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
To check for stainless look for the “S”.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you are bent on selling this very nice looking Python, re-install the factory sights. Colt Python sights are exceptional for a reason. Very hard to improve upon them, & those individuals who are bound & determined to put on "better" sights usually regret the move upon selling.
The Millet guys made all kinds of replacement sights for just about every pistol/revolver application. You've seen these monstrosities pounded into the rear dovetail on fixed sighted 1911's. That now require a much higher front sight. Awful!
Perhaps you can post better pics?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts