Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my colt the the gun range today, but before i shot it, I needed to but some ammo. I told the guy to give me a box of 38 long colt, he told me that i should try 38 special, i said no, he took out a 38 special and it drop right in and fits. I still said no and i don't uesd it this day. can I shoot 38 special in this pistol?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
no, the .38 special did not exist till 1908. bud can likely tell you where you might find some. dont know but old western scrounger might have them, google him.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Well it shows icdux, your obvious animosity to Smith & Wessons,that you didn't know that the .38 Special was an 1899 invention of that firm. First used in the M&P,when introduced that year.The Army/Navy issue early M&Ps are found usually only able to accept .38 Long Colt,but NOT all.

As far as your Colt,"tanker",I don't know if the gun is original or not. Some Colt Army and Navy(leftwheelers) WERE chambered in .38 Special,but very late in production which ended in 1908. I have a target sighted Officers Model made in 1906,so chambered.

Still with me "tanker"-Here is WHY your 1901 WILL accept the slightly longer .38 Special cartridge:
There is probably NO step in the chamber,it is bored straight through,woth a very slight taper. Like its big brother the .41 Colt,these cartridges originally accepted OUTSIDE LUBRICATED cartridges ie; like a ".22" the bullet is the same diameter as the case,which is .375 or so-NOT the .357 as the .38 Special. So,unless you find some older .38 Long(or Short Colt) OUUTSIDE lubed heel type bullets,those slugs,unless hollow based,like SOME modern .38 Colts,will not grips the rifling too well!

The Army finally saw this,and the last one of this series of military revolvers,the 1903 Army,has the narrow .357 bore.

I am sure Bob Best will "add" to this,and many of these early Army/Navy revolvers were factory/arsenal reworked over the years.

So,the other possibilty(slight) is that a later cylinder(1906-07) was put on,

I would suggest,using .38 HOLLOW based 148 gr. wadcutters. It will be even better if you are a reloader,as you can use fast burning powders(SMALL amount!) and mag primers to really give that hollow base bullet a quick "jolt" to expand. I had an 1892 Army with the large bore,and this worked fine!

ONE FINAL WARNING-probably should NOT say this,with some Genuises out there-BUT-.357 Magnum catridges will also fit in these straight bored cylinders!!!! Some have done this on purpose,others by carelessness-and were "sorry".

Good Luck,
Bud

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Lonewolf comes through again.

My experience in shooting these old revolvers mimicks his. The first time I handloaded some 158 grain SWC's in the .38 Long Colt case I was in for a big disappointment when I fired them at a bullseye target. At 15 yards they grouped (grouped you say?) into about 12 inches. Several near keyholes and a perfect SWC shaped keyhole in the paper told the tale.

I slugged the bore of the revolver and found it to be .363. Upon discovering this fact I too reached for the hollow based wadcutters. Seated over a mild charge of Unique, these handloads made the Model 1901 into an accurate revolver again.

I hate to post handload recipes on forums so if anyone cares to discuss this further, email me at the office: [email protected]

A .38 Long Colt shooter likely could handload any MINIMUM powder charge listed for the .38 Special into his .38 Long Colt cases with good results. I'd stick with powders no slower burning than Unique. Obviously one may load the light powder charges in .38 Special cases and shoot them in his revolver as well. I've taken this approach back when I hadn't accumulated enough .38 Long Colt cases. That is not to say that one may USE .38 Special AMMUNITION in his Colt .38 D. A.. Like Lonewolf I hesitate to offer the suggestion but hate for a fellow wishing to use his .38 Long Colt chambered revolver to miss out on the opportunity for lack of .38 Long Colt cases. REMEMBER, one is only using the .38 Special case to charge with a proper .38 Long Colt load.

I had a Smith & Wesson Model of 1899 Military & Police .38 Special that factory lettered to March of 1900. This was of commercial production. If I recall correctly it was marked "For .38 S&W Special or U. S. Army Ctg." Still have the letter somewhere around here. Wish I'd kept the revolver.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Well it shows icdux, your obvious animosity
Bud

[/ QUOTE ]

ANIMOSITY, aint that what the wierdo`s out in california do to farm animals?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Bud!

You said: "I am sure Bob Best will "add" to this,and many of these early Army/Navy revolvers were factory/arsenal reworked over the years."

I think you have pretty well covered this... The only thing I could add is that in my research I found Colt advertising in the August 18th 1904 issue of "Shooting and Fishing" magazine that states that Colt's New Army and Navy model revolvers will chamber "all of the 38 S&W Special loads" on the market. This is the first mention of this that I have located and it corresponds with Colt manufacturing changes in the frame and barrel diameters.

I WOULD REALLY STRESS THAT I WOULD NOT SHOOT ANY .38 SPECIAL ROUNDS IN ONE OF THESE REVOLVERS!

I don't think it is safe ...Mainly because the steel in them is old. All of the guns are over 100 years old now and the cylinders are not as "stout" as the SAAs or New Services... Just my opinion! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bob,while I will go along with your NO .38 SPECIALS IN THESE GUNS, I will continue to shoot Officers Model,made in 1905-06 chambered and "stepped" for the .38 Special-WITH MY 148 gr HBWC MILD HANDLOADS.

I just have a real "thing" about using "shorter cases" in guns;I've seen too many eroded,leaded chambers,no doubt from not/poor cleaning after using a shorter case round,ala .38 Specials in ..357 Magnums.

With "store bought-unknown ammo",I tend to agree with you. I have fired a couple of thousand rounds through it with these mild wad cutters(not seated deep) and there is less pressure than with the shorter deep seated .38 Long Colts. BUT-I know what I am doing-and that is NOT ego-just experience and handloading not only to save $$$-but as my friends say,to "make wimp loads for your relics"!

NOW-IF you want to "worry",I also shoot my 1907 "Transitional"(no indented trigger guard,but still the old left wheeler action for those who wonder what this means) 32/20 6",with factory level 32/20 115 gr. handloads. They are "reserved" just for this gun and a 1920 S&W M&P 32 wcf "Target",circa 1921. I do respect that vintage steel,as I step up the loads for a newer O.P. and/or heavier framed Colt SAAs.

Bob,this will be my LAST POST,as I just do not like the way the Forum is going,mostly the "tone" and almost instant "meanspiritedness" of some members,when anything Colt is critcized.

I don't really need this attempt at blasting people for NOT being a "good ole boy,loving only Colts", via namecalling,stereotyping etc.

It has been a pleasure sharing information and experiences with some wonderful,informed and polite gentlemen,such as yourself.

Bud

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Bud,

I'm really sorry to see that you are leaving the forum. I have enjoyed sharing information and reading your very informative posts. I feel I have come to know you as a friend and I will miss seeing "Lonewolf" post here...

I frequent the other boards and I hope to see you over there... Take Care, Bob

·
Registered
400 Posts
Bud,

I know you were addressing Bob in your last post. But I just wanted to say that I'll also miss reading your posts. Your wealth of knowledge is truely amazing.

Take care,
Dave

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Bob,this will be my LAST POST,as I just do not like the way the Forum is going,mostly the "tone" and almost instant "meanspiritedness" of some members,when anything Colt is critcized.

I don't really need this attempt at blasting people for NOT being a "good ole boy,loving only Colts", via namecalling,stereotyping etc.

Bud

[/ QUOTE ] i will assume this post is directed to me?? if i have personally offended you bud i sincerly regret it. however this is the colt forum for people who like colts, i have tried to be friendly to all new members, but i aint taking no shit off some fellow just because he has a piece of paper that says he`s smart. i aint taking no shit off no one for that matter, it`s against my upbringing. in my opinion if you come here looking for an argument you are in the wrong place. if i am wrong about something, i will gladly admit it, again that`s the way i was raised.if you come to my home you will be welcomed and treated like family, if you insult me, my family, ect i will show you the door.if my post offend you, you could have pm`ed me and we would have discussed it privately.you are a valueable asset to this forum and i hate to see you leave. my regards dux

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
This was just what I've been afraid of.

We just lost one contributor to this Forum due to improper behaviour by some posters on this board.

This makes me vey, very sad!

I'm not going to point fingers, as we say in Holland when there are two fighting, two are to blame.

I must apeel to all on this board to always stay polite in your answers even when people are talking from the rear in your opinion. A discussion which ends in stereotyping and namecalling is from that moment on a lost discussion, PERIOD! there's nothing more to gain ones that level has been reached.

It's always better to win an discussion on argument then on loud mouthing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.