Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all i have a chance to buy a colt python 6 inch electro finish from custom shop it comes with original box and paperwork it also has a couple of light handling marks any help would be appreciated thanks to all

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Things are slow right now so I'm gonna stay conservative and say $2800. In a few weeks when things pick up during "The Season" I would say that is a $3500 piece.

This is pending on how significant the Handling marks are.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Things are slow right now so I'm gonna stay conservative and say $2800. In a few weeks when things pick up during "The Season" I would say that is a $3500 piece.

I track Python sales in the last 24 hours on GB everyday and have noticed a decrease in activity as well ad what seems a trend for lower prices and bids. I guess the "season" must be why.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am sorry to be on the conservative side here but I recently saw a nice Python 6" that looked nicer than the one pictured (maybe the above photos don't do justice to the subject, I don't know)and the asking price was $1,500; because I knew the shop owner i asked what the actual selling price was....turns out it was $1,425....I know, it is not in electroless and not from the Custom Shop but...$2,800-$3,500 for the above gun?? Really? There is a gun shop down the road where, right now, today, I can buy an 8" blue Python that is 98-99% original, with the box, and the asking price is $2,300....it would be worth it to you later to stop and consider your options; just my $.02.....

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
"Tracking" on gunbroker is a fools errand. It's like watching Sothesby's Auctions or the Pebble Beach auto show. Most guns there, those that sell, sell extremely high because the world is the market. Most guns at shops, shows, and between individuals, sell much cheaper. I'd fathom a guess that GB prices are 20-30% higher than live sales. And predicting a value will go up 20% in a few weeks when "the season starts" is wildly speculative, and seems to be promoting "investment" buying. Guns are not stocks boys, you better start realizing they are tools.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
They are investment tools. Unlike many items that decrease with time quality firearms will hold and increase over time if taken care of. The rest of your advice is very sound imho, local prices are most often lower than GB prices, but word is spreading quick and everyone is trying to "cash in" or out, depending on philosophy.
"Tracking" on gunbroker is a fools errand. It's like watching Sothesby's Auctions or the Pebble Beach auto show. Most guns there, those that sell, sell extremely high because the world is the market. Most guns at shops, shows, and between individuals, sell much cheaper. I'd fathom a guess that GB prices are 20-30% higher than live sales. And predicting a value will go up 20% in a few weeks when "the season starts" is wildly speculative, and seems to be promoting "investment" buying. Guns are not stocks boys, you better start realizing they are tools.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Local prices are lower than GB ,certainly.Finding local Colt DA revolver product that isn't being made, and won't be made again,Like Pythons, is the problem however.No product, price irrelevant.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I think they are there, and roughly half of mine have been local purchases. The problem is we are not patient when we start hunting and want it quicker than they show up in our area. We are used to everything being a search or glance away. You pay for convenience but patience pays off. Too bad I have little of it
Local prices are lower than GB ,certainly.Finding local Colt DA revolver product that isn't being made, and won't be made again,Like Pythons, is the problem however.No product, price irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Wait a minute, did we all just sign online and visit www.coltforum.com to banter about value of a firearm on the Internet vs Ma and Pas sporting goods?!?!?We're on the Internet, that is a realistic Internet price.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I will agree Guns can be considered tools or investments. It all depends on the gun, its case by case situation. Investment grade guns continue to go up a moderate to fast pace, out running inflation by leaps and bounds. You must be able to identify what true investment grade is when you see it, that's the trick. You cannot buy a 98% Python without its original box and expect to set the woods on fire with your so-called iron clad investment strategy. Buy yourself a 100% new in the box Python preferably in a desirable configuration at a reasonable fair market price, and watch your money grow. There is a fine line between investing wisely and just investing. The market is softer than it was a year ago for mediocre guns, but the market is stronger than ever for true investment grade guns. That is if you can find any,,,, its tough.

John

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Wait a minute, did we all just sign online and visit www.coltforum.com to banter about value of a firearm on the Internet vs Ma and Pas sporting goods?!?!?We're on the Internet, that is a realistic Internet price.
But I saw one couple years ago at Joes bait and tackle down the road sell for 700.00 and it had a holster and half a box of shells. So you can talk all you want to about them dang interweb prices,,, I don't much believe in all that hi tech mumbo jumbo, them computers are the devil you know. You think I would send somebody my hard earned money that I aint never met in person and shook hands with ? What do I look like ?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
John,
I have purchased no less than 10 NIB older Colt's, revolvers and series 70's local without the aid of the internet in te past 6 months. To be fair I have never stumbled upon any bsts pythons, or older that 70's guns nib local. My point is just if you are patient and know what rocks to turn over you can find a good deal. The internet is bringing that to an end though.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
But I saw one couple years ago at Joes bait and tackle down the road sell for 700.00 and it had a holster and half a box of shells. So you can talk all you want to about them dang interweb prices,,, I don't much believe in all that hi tech mumbo jumbo, them computers are the devil you know. You think I would send somebody my hard earned money that I aint never met in person and shook hands with ? What do I look like ?
You look like less than 3% of the population!!!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
John, I have purchased no less than 10 NIB older Colt's, revolvers and series 70's local without the aid of the internet in te past 6 months. To be fair I have never stumbled upon any bsts pythons, or older that 70's guns nib local. My point is just if you are patient and know what rocks to turn over you can find a good deal. The internet is bringing that to an end though.
I have no doubt you can slip around these smaller gunshops and pick up a few bargains below market price. It's like mining for gold, it's a long journey just to find a nugget or two. The Internet has allowed me to build my collection to a degree I could have never reached buying local. There's nothing better than finding a gun you have been looking for no matter where it comes from.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
John,
My point is just if you are patient and know what rocks to turn over you can find a good deal. The internet is bringing that to an end though.
Nail on the head for me too. I used to be able to find most everything I wanted locally, mainly because of a few little "honey holes" or knowing which rock to turn over, but the internet has completely killed that in my area. Granted the prices weren't cheap, but they averaged about 10-20% below GB selling prices. The good guns are mostly gone now, they get listed on GB which I cant blame them for doing it, I do too. When I have to sell one or two, No need to let a NIB Colt get molested 25 times when I can put it on GB and its gone most of the time on the first listing. My biggest problem is now IF I see a really good gun locally, it is priced at about 50% OVER GB selling price because of all the "fishing expeditions" going on. EVERYBODY around here now watches GB. They think, for example, hey that guy wants 7500 for his so mine gotta be worth that too... They don't see they actually sell for 3400-4k on GB. I don't even try to explain the completed listing thing to them, I just thank them and walk. Its not just Colts, it everything desirable high condition. Some people from GB are actually famous around here. I hear their names so much I could probably sell autographs for them lol:). Anyway if you are a dealer, the internet has probably been a great place imo, but for the average collector (not deep pocketed, hole in the pockets) like myself, it has just about ruined my little world, but its just guns, nothing really important like family, health, and God. jmho.

Reactions: MtnSpur

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Basically for me the internet has eliminated my honey holes. Being patient and waiting around for a deal no longer produces guns for me. My cost of guns these days in many cases are 90-95% of my asking price. The internet has made buying and selling super competitive. Everyone has the internet and the playing field has been leveled. I am just fortunate to have loyal customers from years gone by who call me when they want to sell their collections. If I didn't buy large collections and estates, I would not have any inventory. But like Big Gus said all this of talk about finding guns or not finding guns is nothing important like family, health etc. This is just a pastime.

John

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
There are still older gun collectors the aren't on the internet. Yes, it's a patience game versus instant reward, if you want to buy cheap. My recent mint Colt Ace is an example of what turns up if you know how to look. I see one in much worse shape on GB, running auction after auction with lots of bidders, but not hitting his reserve which must be about $5700. I paid much, much less. But waited 10 years to find and buy one!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
For me, depending on what I am looking for a lot of the fun is in the hunt. Other things I want when I want them
There are still older gun collectors the aren't on the internet. Yes, it's a patience game versus instant reward, if you want to buy cheap. My recent mint Colt Ace is an example of what turns up if you know how to look. I see one in much worse shape on GB, running auction after auction with lots of bidders, but not hitting his reserve which must be about $5700. I paid much, much less. But waited 10 years to find and buy one!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts