Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
rick guns.jpg Hello friends. I have bought a very nice pre-owned Colt this week and need some help. Its in perfect condition and has not been fired. Its barrel is 7 and one inches and reads on top of barrel Colt's PTF.A. MFG. Co. Hartford CT. USA, Serial number is 64325. The caliber is 38cal. I do not know anything about this caliber. I don`t think its 38spc. It has the "screw" cylinder take down and not the spring loaded push in takedown button. I don`t know what I have here so I hope you guys can tell me. I have several repros and this is my first real Colt. And can someone tell me when it was made and give me some info about this caliber..... The case hardening is fantastic and the hammer is also case hardened. The grips are one piece fancy wallnut and flawless. Oh yes....It is a single action old West style, Marshal Mat Dillon looking gun.

Thanks....................
Marshboy57

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Gonna need a whole lot more info. Single or double action? Pictures would be the biggest help. So far kinda sounds lik you mean a 1877 lighting. Does it look like a longer barreled version of this?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Gotta agree with merril, gonna need a lot more info. Guess I'll be the first to say post some pictures. It will save a very long Q&A. Here's a link for one posting method.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/photos-area/22557-photobucket-tutorial-how-post-photos.html

The serial number you provided would date to 1881 for a Matt Dillon type gun, which probably would not have fantastic case hardening or fancy walnut grips. So good, close-up photos would help a lot. Look forward to seeing what you have.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Sounds like he may be talking about a black powder frame. Photos are whats needed. Then the guys on here will tell you exactly what ya got.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank and I will add photos when I get home from work this evening..........

marshboy57

·
Registered
746 Posts
Gonna need a whole lot more info. Single or double action? Pictures would be the biggest help. So far kinda sounds lik you mean a 1877 lighting. Does it look like a longer barreled version of this?

Not a Lightning/Thunderer- they had the spring-loaded base pin latch from the get-go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have added a photo of my shooting iron. Hope this helps you guys with my need for info..............

Thanks..............

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
If its 64345 SA its 1973. If its 64345 with no SA following the number its 1881. I seriously doubt that! It`s gotta read either .38 WCF or .38 spl. I have a repo DAKOTA made in spain or italy that looks identical. Lets see a clear picture of the barrel marking and the serial # and patent stamping to determine if you have a $100,000, $1,100, or a $350 dollar gun. A 3rd generation genuine colt wouldnt be just stamped .38.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
If its 64345 SA its 1973. If its 64345 with no SA following the number its 1881.  I seriously doubt that!  It`s gotta read either .38 WCF or .38 spl.  I have a repo DAKOTA made in spain or italy that looks identical.  Lets see a clear picture of the barrel marking and the serial # and patent stamping to determine if you have a $100,000, $1,100, or a $350 dollar gun.  A 3rd generation genuine colt wouldnt be just stamped .38. Here is mine.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
If your gun is original and authentic it is a spectacular piece. The .38 Colt caliber in SAAs is rare, few made in that caliber. I have one similar, but refinished, also .38 Colt cal, s/n 144ks, Colt letter confirms caliber and ship date 1892. See below.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the quick reply. The serial# you are stating is not the correct one that I posted. The serial# is 64325 with no letters. I believe its the so called black powder frame because of the screw and not the later "press" in button to slide out the cylinder rod to remove the cylinder. When I purchased the gun on Sat. it was in a USFA box and the dealer told me it is a USAF Colt reproduction and was 38 special. I called the USFA folks and gave the the serial# and described the gun. They called me back and told me that they did not make this gun and that the serial# is a Colt serial#. They said the box was theres but the gun was not. The gun dealer did not check the gun out closely and went by the info on the USFA box only. Very big mistake.... The folks at USFA also told me that if the caliber marking does not say 38special then it is not a 38 special but is more likely a 38colt or 38.40.... I know that USFA Co. makes very accurate SAA revovers so I took for granted that the Colt markings on the barrel was put there by them but they said there guns have there own markings on the barrel and that my revolver is definately a Colt. I have emailed John Taffin at Guns magazine for info on this gun but it could be a long time before I hear anything. I`m thinking about calling Colt. The caliber marking on my gun is 38CAL this may be a 38 [email protected] or cold be a 38.40 This is mind botteling.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
View attachment 23545 Hello friends. I have bought a very nice pre-owned Colt this week and need some help. Its in perfect condition and has not been fired. Its barrel is 7 and one inches and reads on top of barrel Colt's PTF.A. MFG. Co. Hartford CT. USA, Serial number is 64325. The caliber is 38cal. I do not know anything about this caliber. I don`t think its 38spc. It has the "screw" cylinder take down and not the spring loaded push in takedown button. I don`t know what I have here so I hope you guys can tell me. I have several repros and this is my first real Colt. And can someone tell me when it was made and give me some info about this caliber..... The case hardening is fantastic and the hammer is also case hardened. The grips are one piece fancy wallnut and flawless. Oh yes....It is a single action old West style, Marshal Mat Dillon looking gun.

Thanks....................
Marshboy57
Deleted after reading further and realizing you know it's not a Colt SAA.

Re-read your last post. Call Colt Archives to find out about this gun. Serial too early for the caliber described. .38 S&W was introduced in 1889. 1884 for .38-40 and 1886 for .38Colt.

I'm sorry but i have some serious reservations about the originality of this gun. With the one blurry pic, my opinion is re-barreled, re-cylindered, re-gripped and refinished. More hi-res pics may reveal more "issues."

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had an unknown SAA that looked like yours, even had Colt grips and a barrel stamped "Colt Single Action Army". Are there any other markings on the gun, like import marks or stamping numbers on the cylinder?

SAA .357 017.jpg SAA .357.jpg SAA .357 015A.jpg SAA .357 010.jpg SAA .357 013A.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called Colt today and spoke with there archives guy. I told him about my purchase and described the gun. He asked if the serial numbers all matched and I said yes they do. Then he asked for the serial number. He looked it up and told me it was made in 1881. I asked about the 38CAL and he said I would need to pay for the reserch and documentation. Tomorrow I am going to call him back and get the documentation/info process started. He told me I can take it to my favorite gun shop and have them measure the bore to confirm the caliber. He also told me that if this gun has ever been re-finished in the past its no big deal and most likely would have been Colt that did the work.
This gun has definately been "loved and cared for" by who ever............. I am very happy with this gun no matter if its worth a thousand bucks or a million bucks. Its my first real Colt and my lifelong dream has been fullfilled...Its a lovely six gun and thats good enough for me. I will let you know more as I learn more. I thank you for your help.
Rick "marshboy57" Schultz

·
Registered
713 Posts
For me, the real issue is the .38CAL. I've never seen a Colt marked that way. Still would like to see some better pictures showing caliber markings, serial numbers and patent dates. Maybe a Colt pony or two.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ponylover, I have a Colt Police Positive from 1912 and the barrell is marked "Colt Police Positive 38" Admit it is a different gun but is a Colt. Process of elimination revealed it to be a .38S&W/.38Colt God Bless.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Rodeo Kid,
Is your gun marked ".38CAL" like this guy is saying his is? I'd bet not. I smell something funny in this story. I'll be the first to apologize, but it just doesn't sound right. I'm still waiting for the pictures......

1 - 20 of 44 Posts