Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with value of NIB 6\" nickel Diamondback

Hi, Maybe you guy's in the know out there can help me out. I plan on selling a New In The Box Colt 6" Diamondback with nickel finish, in .22LR caliber. I believe only 2200 of these were made and only in 1979. This one comes with the box, all original paperwork, and it is still wrapped in it's protective plastic bag. It has NEVER been touched by human hands since it left the Colt Factory 26 years ago.It must be the nicest or one of the nicest in existence would be my guess. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how much I should ask for it and was hoping I could get some feedback from guys in the know. I do know prices for these have been getting a little crazy. I am currently auctioning off a 4" blued Diamondback in mint shape on one of the gun auction sites ( I have pictures on a later post on this same subject), and that has been bid to $600 already with 11 days left to go, so I am very curious what the nickel 6" guns are bringing. Any help would be appreciated. I've also got a perfect Colt Huntsman .22, 3rd generation, but I probably won't be selling that one for a few weeks. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give some info, Randy Schue - Shoodaddy
Added a picture so you Colt Crazies can drool, actually this one makes me drool too !!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Need help with value of NIB 6\" nickel Diamondback

(I edited this post once i had correct info)I think I made a mistake in my last post. The Diamondback has a shiny nickel finish not a dull finish, so I guess this would not be the "COLTGUARD" finish. I am finding out by previous posts that these 6" nickel Diamondbacks are pretty rare. That's good for me. Wish I knew how to include a picture here. Oh well, thanks everyone, shoodaddy

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Well Randy, needless to say you have one of the more sought after Colt Diamondbacks you could possible have.
First off don't believe the 2200 quantity number you read in the Blue Book, most of us feel the number is considerable less.
Yours is probably one of the most desirable because it is in the Electroless nickel and trust me, very few were made in that finish, more were made in the bright nickel plate.
I have one in the bright plated nickel in the same condition as yours, unfired NIB, although mine has been turned. The last one in bright nickel I heard of was bought by someone on this forum for $2000. My guess is they are going for in the $1750-2000 range. Yours should bring at least that and maybe even more because of the Electroless.
I personally don't relish seeing these prices esculate like they are (ya, it makes each one you own more valuable, but.....) because it is making it increasingly harder to find decent ones, in any caliber or finish, at anything like reasonable prices to further your collection.
Do what you want with your beautiful Diamondback, it's your gun, but on that one, if it were mine, I would not budge off anything less than $2000, JMHO. You will probaly not see another one in your lifetime. I hope this hasn't scared off any potential buyers, but then again, I don't think you ought to give it away either, your choice compadre.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Well Randy, since you were modifying your original posting while I was typing, just read the part about the bright nickel finish.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi Dick, thank you for your quick response. I think I may have been mistaken on the finish, it is the shiny nickel so I believe this would not be the "COLTGUARD" finish. The value you quoted me sounds great however ! I wish I could find out something more definitive about production numbers, seems strange that there doesn't seem to be more info on how many of these were made. I haven't been able to find the exact year of manufacture either unless these were only made in '79 like I've been told. The serial number starts with AA if anyone out there may know more. Anyway, thanks once again, Randy Schue - Shoodaddy

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

The AA serial number was made in 1985.

The original run was made in 1979.

We had a thread about this not too long ago, but they made a few of what I call "bank promotion special run" in 1985. Some of these were even paired with a Python and offered as promotion to open rather large bank accounts at some bank according to one forum member who got one from his father that way.
Value is still the same IMHO.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi again Dick, Thanks for the info. I just took it for granted that this was one of the one's produced in '79. Are there any production figures for these for 1985 that you are aware of ? It's kind of ironic that you mentioned the Python, I just sold a .357 nickel Python with an 8" barrel that was in excellent shape about two weeks ago. I got $1025 for the Python. That was an awesome pistol just to look at, I never got to fire it. Thanks for your help once again, I greatly appreciate it, regards, Randy - Shoodaddy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi, If anyone wants to check out the blued 4" Diamondback in mint condition that I am selling or a beautiful Colt New Frontier in .22 caliber then you can see them up for auction on AuctionArms.com. My seller's name there is also shoodaddy. Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Randy, the other guys have already seen this, but I was able to "steal" this one locally recently for $600, mint and all original. Just luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hi Dick, That is a keeper, very nice. The blued one we are auctioning is also very nice,it does however have custom zebrawood grips. Can you tell me how I can put a picture on here ? Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Production figures for the 6" Nickel 22 DB are about right based on what I know. Frankly I have seen so many of them back in the early 1980's, that I always believed the reported production figures of 2200 as low. But, the 2200 figure is about right.

I have one that is part of a Python-Diamondback pair from years ago. Don't have the Python any more. The one I have has smooth stocks on it which came from the Custom Shop. The bank guns game from the Custom Shop. The 6" 22 Nickel was again cataloged in 1985. FYI.

For info, I believe the deposit amount was $10,000 to get the guns in leu of interest. Interest rates were a bit high back then and no one was expecting to see rates such as we have these days again.

You will do okay selling the 6" nickel depending on what you have invested in it. But, the good part is that they are very desireable and sell at market prices. You can't say that about a lot of guns.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks once again 22-rimfire, The info you have provided me is greatly appreciated. The 6" nickel Diamondback we have is serial number AA022XX. I'm told that this was made in 1985, it does have the checkered grips however. I've taken pictures of it but I won't take the plastic bag off the gun as I absolutely do not want to touch it. We still have not decided when we are going to sell it, it's kind of up to my partner who has it in his safe. Anyway, thanks and take care, Randy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hi all, I've added a photo to original post so anyone who might be interested can see what I've got. Don't take that the wrong way, I mean the Diamondback. Will update this post when I decide to sell it so any interested buyers can check it out, thanks, Randy

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: Need help with value of NIB 6\" nickel Diamond

[ QUOTE ]
There is currently a 6" nickel Diamondback on GA, rated at 97% with a small nick, for 1395.00. http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976670389.htm
Based on that gun, I believe Diamonback68's estimate of $2,000 to be right on the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is another one of the second run guns made in 1982.
They made few more of the "bank" guns in 1985

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks coltfan55, I have all the packaging and undisturbed paperwork for my Diamondback also as shown in that GunsAmerica photo. The letter from Colt is perfect, and the red tape that they used is uncut, I don't believe this paperwork was ever removed. The outside of the Colt box is not perfect however, probably from being moved around over the years. Anyway, thanks again for your help. I asked my partner if he was ready to sell yet and he said not yet. I'm hoping he changes his mind soon as he is looking to buy a collection. We'll see. Have a good weekend evryone, Randy

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just joined this Colt Forum because I (basically) had/have the exact question as is this post. I was curious as to the value of my 6" bright nickel unfired .22 Diamondback. Was astonished at the information in some of the replies. BUT, not sure what I may or may not have with mine, the serial # on my Diamondback starts with an "S" prefix followed by five numbers. Reading the replies I had to run downstairs and open the safe to check the serial # thinking it would start with AA. And I also read a post from .22rimfire that stated most nickel diamondbacks start with a "P" serial #. Any thoughts about my Diamondback with the "S" prefix? Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Hi Ricochet, according to diamonback68 the "S" Diamondbacks were made from 1979-1981. I hope this helps. You can check out more info on Diamondback serial numbers by checking the post on this Forum called "Diamondback SN's". Take care, Randy

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Hey Ricochet, good question. I have one of the very earliest 6" Nickel 22LR that were made in 1978 and it starts with an "R" serial number. Almost all of the original run made in 1979 had an "S" prefix S/N. A few more were made in the 1982-1985 time frame, the so-called "Banker" guns, and had "P" and "AA" prefixes HTH
Dick

1 - 20 of 47 Posts