Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a supposedly 1932 Colt SAA at the Wanenmacher Arms Show. Everything looked correct from what I could see at the show but of course I couldn't take the gun apart. After getting it home and disassembling for cleaning a whole bunch of red flags popped up. #1 the sear and trigger spring was the wire type. #2 the case coloring looked like it had some sort of varnish on it. #3 the markings on the underside of barrel were a mystery. I've tried to include as many pictures as possible. I paid alot of money for this gun after being told it was all original. Did I get ripped off? IMG_2414[1].jpg IMG_2423[1].jpg IMG_2417[1].jpg IMG_2440[1].jpg IMG_2436[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
I don't like the number of that frame serial number at all. I saw a 45 x 7-1/2" minty saa late production prewar serial range gun with box at a recent show that I thought was totally fabricated down to the fake box. Hopefully you bought it from a stand up dealer and you can reverse the deal.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I would not worry too much about the varnish aspect...someone may have applied that to help preserve the case colors from oxidation and thus fading. Others should be along shortly to help out with other comments.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What did it have on it for grips?

Does it have a removable firing pin bushing in the cylinder wall?

A picture of the other side of the hammer would be useful, to see the cam outline there.

It strikes me as rather "Armi San Marco"-ish.... with a Colt barrel and some marking work.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
It looks like a cross pin in the hammer while the firing pin is attached thru the back of the hammer. The serial number doesn't look right. Of course it should not have wire springs in it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The grips were correct for the period. hard rubber non eagle w/ 4756 scracthed in both backs. It does have the removable firing pin bushing in the hammer wall. IMG_2416[1].jpg IMG_2435[1].jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have said it does have the removable cylinder pin bushing in the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Well without clearer pics of the whole gun it is very hard to tell for sure but here is what I see....
it looks like it was a put together from parts and may not all be genuine or original Colt stuff
That Serial Number sticks out like a sore thumb as being not Colt or being changed too
My gut feeling it is not right
As you stated you paid a lot for this
If u can return it I would for sure
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to try and return it but I'm afraid that's a long shot. If nothing else I'll have an expensive shooter after I send it away to Jim Martin. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I agree no more should be spent

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
If you can't return it, I agree with jringo8769 and dogface6. As long as you have it apart, you can replace the sear/trigger spring yourself.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Next time, before you go to a show, buy a few books on the Single Action Army (Kopec, Graham and Moore, to begin with) and ctually 'read' them thoroughly before you unlimber your wallet on a whim - you'll be money ahead.

This is an expensive game - one played by 'Big Boy's Rules', and if you're not on the ball, you're legitimate prey, so arm yourself with knowledge…

Better Luck next time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts