Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new to this side of the forum. I generally spend my time in the Revolver area... But now I'm here.

I'm looking at a Colt Sporter Lightweight 9mm. I was wondering if anyone had any info or advice with these firearms. Are the reliable? Do they fire straight? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I recently acquired one, and a buddy liked mine so much that he got one as well. Both have been as reliable as gravity, shoot straight, and are an absolute ball to shoot. I have an S&W 15-22 and a Colt Government Carbine, and the 9mm nicely splits the difference. It has enough power to knock down things like steel plates with authority, but doesn't crater them like a 5.56. Ammo is relatively inexpensive, and easy/cheap to reload.
A couple things that to think about:
-Sights; the 6450 comes with a carrying handle forged with the upper. This is not an issue if you like irons, but if you had your heart set on optics, that will be more challenging. A worthwhile addition is an XS white stripe front sight; it's easier to pick up in a hurry, and some like their 'big hole' rear sights.
-I've installed a Geissele SSA in mine; it's a huge improvement on the OEM.
-Magazines; new, the gun will come with two, usually 32 round or 20 round. The Metalforms are the current factory choice, tho' they did use CProducts for awhile. The thinking seems to be to avoid Promags, with the Metalforms as the preferred magazine. I've used the CProducts without drama.
-Mag loading tools; you will need one, as just pushing the rounds in doesn't work. At all. LULA makes a good one (make sure that you get the one specifically for the Colt mags, their other 9mm loaders don't work in this application) and Promag makes a loader that packs in 5 rounds at a time. It's $10 and works well.
Ammo; mine has gobbled everything I've fed it save for some reloads with too great an OAL.
It's a great range toy, and would make a great defensive carbine as well. I'm planning on SBR'ing mine.
I've seen prices from $1045 from PA Police Supply to $925 from DSG Arms. I've also seen them going for a lot more, but there are two places to try.
Moon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts