Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need info. on approximate value of an 1849 Pocket Model. It possibly is somewhat rare in that it is .36 caliber, rather than .31. One source I have check has referred to it as an 1865 Pocket Model. It has a 4 1/2"bbl., Serial No. (all matching) is 103XX. Action is very crisp, with cylinder indexing accurately. There are faint traces of original blue.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Post pics if you can. The 36 cal is probably the pocket navy model. Value depends heavily on condition and pictures would help. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What you show is not an M1849. Although the photo is not clear, the cylinder appears to be stepped. Therefore, it is a M1865 Pocket Navy revolver.
There is absolutely no such thing as a .35 ca. M1849.
Although on can find almost anything in Colt Percussions, not this! Never was and never will be.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I would have opened a new thread for this but the 'Post New Thread' part of this forum must be down for some reason.

I have this conversion Pocket Navy, unless it is really something else, .38RF s/n 110xx. It has the basic ID of stepped cylinder of a Pocket Navy. Not being a researcher nor much of a student, it seems strange the barrel is round - or was that part of the conversion process? I know it dates from a time when a round barrel was something of a quality indicator and maybe Colt saw it as a sales inducement - didn't look as retro as an octagon barrel. Would appreciate any comments and/or additional info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stag - You need to have your bifocals changed. I clearly stated that it is .36 caliber, which is stamped on the left side of the trigger guard.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The .35 Caliber notation in my earlier reply was a typo.
The fact remains is that with a stepped, rebated round cylinder, the gun you show is a M1865 Pocket Navy. These were earlier thought to be contemporaneous with the M1862 Pocket Police. However, recent research into Colt shipping ledgers shows no example of the Pocket Navy revolver before 1865, and that the M1862 Pocket Police had its own separate serial number range.
As for a .36 cal. M 1849, There never was one nor will there ever be one!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Rhmc; You have a New Model Breech Loading Police Pistol. Type 6. Approx 4500 made. This was turned round from the octagonal barrels. Could be .38rf or .38cf. What else can I tell you...Jim

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Your 1865 Pocket navy looks to be in decent shape. Cant tell if the front sight is missing or not tho. Is there a little hole where it should be or is the brass pin or "cone" present. As far as value I saw one similiar to yours at a gun show a few years ago and the guy wanted 1200. Dont know if that is in the ballpark or not. I like the 1851 Navy but these 1865 pocket navies are a different breed. Frankly i almost never see them at the gun shows. Best bet is to scan the internet auctions and see what they go for. The fact that yours works is a plus as a lot of old Colt percs dont time very well, if at all. Is the barrel address present? How about the cylinder scene. These add value if present.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Rhmc; You have a New Model Breech Loading Police Pistol. Type 6. Approx 4500 made. This was turned round from the octagonal barrels. Could be .38rf or .38cf. What else can I tell you...Jim
Thanks. I'll have to change how it's listed in my inventory. Out of curiosity -- what distinguishes it from the Pocket Navy conversion? Bob M

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Bob: There are no models called the Pocket NAVY conversion..If you are thinking about the New Model Breech Loading Pocket Pistol ( Type 3 or 4 ) they were octagon barrel models, with or without loading gates. If you are thinking about the New Model Breech Loading Police Pistols ( Type 7 ) They seemed to be the last pocket models produced and had NEW manufactured barrels. I have them all, if you need a picture of any of them PM me......Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dandak - The little brass front sight is there, the New York address on top of the bbl. is faint but readable, as is the cylinder scene. As I mentioned before, all nos. match, including the wedge and cylinder. A friend inherited it, and I'm trying to help him sell it. Netbook Cylinder Hardware accessory Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dandak - The small brass front sight is intact, the New York address on top of the bbl. is faint but readable, as is the scene on the cylinder. As I mentioned before, the timing is excellent and all nos. match, including the wedge and cylinder. Netbook Cylinder Hardware accessory Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory A friend inherited it, and I'm just trying to help him sell it.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Pretty nice shape! looks like original varnish on the grips too, a natural brown patina on the gun, and a visible cylinder scene and barrel addres. Really, it is worth what it would be bid up to in an auction and this gun is out of what I look for at gun shows, but as I stated previously a fella at a local show had 1200 on his and I do think yours is a actually a bit better than his. He did sell it because when i went back later it was gone, but i do not know what the final value he sold it for was. This was a few years ago. Prices on old percussions seemed to fall a bit since then until recently, now it seems they are going back up. Sorry I can be of no more precise help, I was hoping those here with much more experience than me would have chimed in with a ballpark value by now. Really, I almost never see these pocket navys at gun shows. The one a few years ago may have been the last time...can't really remember seeing any since then and I hit a lot of gun shows.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Actually, a Colt Pocket Navy, being about the last percussion Colt model to be introduced is rather a scarce, if not rare gun. Most of those produced were factory converted for cartridges.
In addition, its .36 caliber was not all that popular because it did not have the stopping (hitting) power of the .44 cal. pistols.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts