Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this New Service "Fitz" special style pistol in 45 ACP a few years back and the more I learn the less I know. The number under the crane is 249 5XX, there is what looks like a small H stamped above the number,and a larger Y below the number. I had thought this was the serial number which would mean it was made in 1919-1920. However I have recently read that the number under the crane and on the butt are different. The top of the frame is serrated as I have seen in Pics of commercial New Services and the ejector rod is rounded. The gunsmithing is fantastic. The trigger action is the best I or several friends have ever felt on a Colt, and I carried a 1960 Colt Python several years. The top of the hammer is serrated for thumb cocking. It is fully engraved (Good not Great). I put the stag grips on the originals are very thin walnut. I assume the barrel has been shortened but the Colt DA 45 is centered. The patent dates on top of the barrel are incomplete however. I bought the gun out of PA and they said it had belonged to a old local police chief. I asked if I could get a letter and a name,and was that was not available. When I received the gun it looked like a grinder or belt sander had been run over the grip from the trigger guard to just below the hammer. I smoothed it back out per Turnbull. The rest of the finish is great. Any thoughts or information would be appreciated. I am attaching a photo. I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
On the New Service the serial number is on the crane and on the frame under the crane. The earlier guns like the New Army and Navys and the 1889s had an assembly number under the crane and the serial is on the butt.
Can you post some pics of this gun?

Is this that really nice one you posted on the S&W forum?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried but it didn't come through, back to school. And yes it is the on Pilgrim posted on S&W forum. I have emailed him for coaching.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info on the serial number and I found the number on the crane and on the frame match.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Great Fitzed Mew Service. I'm into reworking old NSs I find in trouble, have done two and another in process. I'll give one to my Son, to Son-in-law, never sell. I hope you can get the info you seek. Best!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts