Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather recently passed away and left behind a beat up old police positive .38 special. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little more about it and what it might be worth(it's pretty beat up so probably not much) thanks in advance!! My phone not letting me upload the pics right now but the serial number on it is 62832 and there is a "Y" up under that. I know you can't really tell the value with out seeing the gun so I'll have some up in the next couple days.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
You actually have a Police Positive Special revolver made in 1912. Colt made a TON of that model and it was popular both with law enforcement and the public. As a result their values are modest and a "beat up" example would probably be worth $175-$300, depending on the actual condition.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Aclax89 - Here is a link to a page that will give you some information on your grandfather's revolver. As to the value, it is in the revolver belonging to your grandfather. A family treasure is what it is worth. Keep this revolver in the family and pass it down. This helps keep his memory going with future family members.

Link - Police Positive Special

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate it! I was just wondering about the value to know if I should try to restore it or not. I didn't want to get it re-done and it be worth more in the beat up condition than restored but since it's not really worth a whole lot I'm probably going to restore it and hold on to it. It still looks good for 104 years old tho!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Does the barrel of your gun say Police Positive 38 or Police Positive Special 38? If it looks good don't restore it, clean it up, have it checked out by a gunsmith for timing, etc. and if everything checks out, shoot it. Stay away from +P ammo and again what does the barrel say, Police Positive 38 or Police Positive Special 38?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate it! I was just wondering about the value to know if I should try to restore it or not. I didn't want to get it re-done and it be worth more in the beat up condition than restored but since it's not really worth a whole lot I'm probably going to restore it and hold on to it. It still looks good for 104 years old tho!
Indeed, do not 'restore' it.

It is really impossible to do or to have done anyway, and ends up just being more of a loss than a gain...and would be very expensive to have done, and it will only make an honest old Gun into a boring shiny thing which has lost it's true character to then have some real apologies to make.

Post some good images soon as you can find a way to do so, so we can have a peek.

Most of us here, me included, LOVE old Guns which were carried a lot, bounced around, and have that "been there, done that" look.

It really does have it's own charm, and has no apologies to make.

The Police Positive Specials were very finely made high quality Revolvers and very durable.

Often enough, some proper cleaning inside and some fresh lube for the moving parts, and they will operate perfectly.

Anyway, get some images going so we can have a look.

1912 was a very good year for these, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts