Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of original grips for my python and when they arrived they turned out to be very small. They fit the gun perfectly and have the Colt emblem but they are much smaller then the other grips I have seen. They are old and somewhat worn and are supposed to have been made by Colt at some time in the past. Can anyone tell me what they were originally used on and if they are really originals?

·
Registered
909 Posts
You may have Python "service stocks" which were standard issue for 2" barrel (and very few 4" barrel) guns. Most 4,6, and 8" barrel Pythons had "target stocks" which were much larger. Service stocks are more concealable and appropriate for a snubbie.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A1A. Yes. This picture is exactly what I have. I was looking for a set of "normal" size grips and ended up with these. The guy I bought them from described them over the phone but I didn't realize that they were so small until I received them. I have a six inch Python and although they technically fit the frame they are too small for what I want. Also, they are very dark from age and they have silver medallions rather then gold. Should I attempt to clean them before I sell them and try to get their original color back?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it were me I'd sell them the way they are. Once you've done it (cleaned them) you can't undo it. You never kow what you might find under the gunk.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Post a picture of the grips if you can. Some of these were were fairly dark as new. If they are clean, I wouldn't mess with them.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You certainly won't have any trouble selling a set of original Colt Python service stocks. I'd just keep them for a rainy day. You might pickup a 2.5" some day and there are a set of non-factory pachmayr's on it.

For general shooting, I actually prefer the pachmayr grips. I just keep the factory ones for that day when I might sell the gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts