Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me with info on a couple of my guns.
First is a Python sn# 832XX and second is a Combat Commander in 9mm sn# FC346XX.
Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your Python looks like 1968. Sorry, I don't have the information for the Combat Commander. If you call Colt Customer Service they can look the serial number up for you no problem.

By the way, welcome neighbor.

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. How about info on an army special sn# 3939xx? Anyone know if its possible to get parts for it?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
parasite
arts listed for the Official Police,Officers Models etc.will fit the Army Special internally. (these are called E and I frames)Barrels will interchange,as will cylinders,but barrels wont say "Army Special" of course. Many of the Colt parts are on eBay,and some of the auction sites on the net. The parts are NOT "rare" & hard to find as say the Colt New Service are(or as expensive).Good luck,and lets us know of any questions. Bud

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. I new the army special was old but I didn't know it was that old. I only need a couple of internal parts. It belongs to my Dad. He has had it in a little box for 20+ years since the spring went. Is a 2.5" barrel rare or did a previous owner cut it down? I guess its nickel instead of chrome?
Thanks
Parasite

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The barrel measurement is taken from the front of the cylinder,so it might be 4",the shortest barrel advertised for the Army Special(but Ive learned nearly anything could be ordered from the factory "back then"). IF the mainspring is broken,this is a very easy repair,only requiring the grips to be taken off. The spring looks like a "wishbone" and the longer leaf with the little hook & slot fits in the hammer stirrup & works the hammer. The lower,shorter leaf fits over the rebound lever(Pinned to grip frame) and does 2 things; helps to rotate the cylinder(make sure the hand or pawl is under the rebound lever when spring is reinstalled) and acts as a trigger return spring. Older Colts had 1 part do several functions,where as the S&Ws had more parts with only one function.Or at least thats what Major Bryant,my neighbor 1/2 a century ago, told me when he showed me how first to take apart a handgun,his 1909 Colt New Service that hed carried in the "Mexican Expedition"of 1914 and World War One. Imagine the crap many parents would give an old vet today,who showed a 10 year old a real handgun! Good Luck with the Army Special. Bud

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It's not as easy as just swapping out the spring like in a S&W. In a Colt since the spring does several jobs it's part of the timing and needs to be fitted and tuned for the precision functioning of the revolver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts