Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, can someone help me understand the finish on the early versions of the vest pocket? On mine when I saw the blued trigger, thumb safety and grip safety, I was thinking old re-blue. But, I see in Wilson's book a reference to "mottled blue" finish on these parts as well. Mine has the full blue barrel and full blue unmarked magazine. Is this little gun more correct than I thought? I have searched here and on Mr. Lisker's fine site and I am now just not sure what I have. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
The grip safety, thumb safety, and trigger were casehardened. In that serial number range the slide and receiver finish should be the brilliant "charcoal" blue. The photo looks like it has been polish and reblued.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dogface6....The Wilson book listed the finish as case hardened or "mottled blue" and I just was not seeing any examples of the difference if there is any. It would not be the first time there was a mistake in a book!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
OK, can someone help me understand the finish on the early versions of the vest pocket? On mine when I saw the blued trigger, thumb safety and grip safety, I was thinking old re-blue. But, I see in Wilson's book a reference to "mottled blue" finish on these parts as well. Mine has the full blue barrel and full blue unmarked magazine. Is this little gun more correct than I thought? I have searched here and on Mr. Lisker's fine site and I am now just not sure what I have. Thanks.
As others have said, the standard blued guns have color case hardened trigger, thumb safety and grip safety. On the earlier guns, the case hardened colors are more muted than on later guns.

On the following page, you can see these colors on Serial Numbers 1, 2 and 25. If you scroll down, take a look at the colors on serial number 400,000 and you will see how bright they are by comparison.

Colt 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless .25 ACP Pistol Unique Serial Number - Coltautos.com
Hope this helps,

Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.