Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
8,634 Posts
Here’s a link to a gunbroker completed auction on July 3rd at bottom of my post to give a good idea of what one COULD reach in an auction. It had about 20 bids , several bidders and a back and forth between two at the end That wanted it bad.
Things to keep in mind. This is a package complete with the paperwork that proved what was done to it. It looks to be as new in the box.

condition is the number one factor no matter what the gun and the story is. yours appears to have the smoked nitride finish Best I can tell. I like that. Should be some Nighthawk paperwork somewhere as I don’t see it in the pic .
the box label looks pretty rough, like it got moist as it has liquid stains in the label. Hopefully the gun was not kept where the box was. :)

depending on how good a friend he is, I’d think about what ColtsDad recommended.
id pay what Coltsdad said, I would not pay that auction price, but that’s me. The real value is likely somewhere between those two numbers. The basic Colt 1911C classic pistol (not having any NightHawk work done) cost was a shade under a grand.
a guns worth is always what someone is willing to pay for it.

· Registered
720 Posts
It's a modded Colt from Nighthawk. The condition of the case and the alterations to the pistol concerns me greatly if one wants it as a collector piece.

How much does your neighbor want? I'd walk away at anything over $1,300 because of the condition and the mainspring alteration [I have unfired Colts and I don't change out grips or parts on them as it makes no logical sense for a collector to do so ], the poor condition of the box, and if there is no NIghthawk paperwork, it's just a modded O frame.

· Registered
388 Posts
Colthawk…..built on Classic 70 base. He needs to put the original msh and grips back on before he sells it.

Air gun Everyday carry Wood Material property Trigger

regardless he's into it for at least $2,500 + or - and could get at least that it if he lists it on GB. Nice gun and for me if truly unfired and had original flat msh and grips it would be a buy without question anything up to $2,000

ETA: the smoked Nitride finish when nighthawk applied tends to wash out the rollmarks of the Classic model as they are laser vs rollmark. In this case they look good

· Registered
388 Posts
Nice package really for the money

FEATURES:
  • Finish: Smoked Nitride
  • Government size frame and 5" barrel
  • Fully machined retro rear sight
  • Solid gold bead front sight
  • Full reliability enhancement and action tune
  • Fully Machined disconnector, sear, hammer strut, pin
  • Fit and blended NH beavertail grip safety
  • NH flat mainspring housing
  • NH match grade barrel bushing
  • Fully machined retro hammer
  • French border
  • Nighthawk Custom engraved in script on dust cover
  • Vertical serrations on front strap and mainspring housing
  • Crowned barrel flush with bushing
  • NH match grade, solid short trigger
  • Completely dehorned for comfortable carry
  • Ultra hi-cut front strap

· Premium Member
3,437 Posts
That's one of the nicest Colt/Nighthawk collaborations out there. Vintage look, some custom work and with modern fighting pistol attributes. I've been carrying mine almost daily since early 2021 when I picked it up. Since he still has all the original parts (box, papers, straight backstrap, grips), I'd have no qualms grabbing this one up. If you can get it for 1200/1300 like some mention, you're stealing it and should do so immediately. Anything under 2000 is a deal. The fit/finish is superb. The enhancements are a classy touch but it still has the reliability of a custom gun as well. The only thing I would've asked for would've been to have them keep the markings a bit more deep and clear during their polishing and finishing.

Mine:
Wood Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel

· Registered
3,524 Posts
Great pistol Inspector , and perfect stock . Couple of things I noticed ( thought anyway ) are no NH. collaboration on label , and I would think prefix would be same in the run .
Anyway to me a blue Model O with a short trigger just represents classic.

· Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Great pistol Inspector , and perfect stock . Couple of things I noticed ( thought anyway ) are no NH. collaboration on label , and I would think prefix would be same in the run .
Anyway to me a blue Model O with a short trigger just represents classic.
Yes - there isn't anything on the end label. From what I was told, Nighthawk scooped up a pile of S70s from Colt and just ran their series. I'm not sure if it was done more for Colt or Nighthawk. It comes with the Nighthawk build sheet and the small "Nighthawk Custom" script on the dust cover area but that's about it marking it for NH.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.