Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the quality of current Python Elite's? I own several S&W revos, as well as Taurus and Rugers. I am seriously considering adding a Python to my collection. Any input from folks who have purchased PEs recently would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The new Pythons are hit and miss, but largely very good guns. There can be some of the new ones that aren't of the same overall fit and finish as others that you'd expect of the $1,100 - $1,200 category.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Rev. Jones, "Ya pays yer money an' ya' takes yer' choice," they say! I don't own a current Python but I've owned several over the last thirty years. I agree with McAfee, they've ALWAYS been problematic. I really don't think, except for Rugers, maybe, you can go buy a gun and expect much consistency. ALL of them are highly individualistic. That goes for 1911's, Colt and S&W DA's and just about anything mechanical. The good news, however, is the Python is one of the best ever made by anyone, I think. But look at several, if you can, before you pick one out. I had some bucks last summer and told myself I was going to buy a new Python ... then I found this 1957 Colt .357 6", the forerunner of the Python and bought it. It's got a problem, too, but it's one-of-a-kind and worth the trouble. It also only cost $400 instead of $1,000+. I bought a second-hand gun, took the wife out for supper and from then 'till Christmas, I'll have Budweiser instead of Old Milwaukee. Ha! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reverend Dallas Jones:
How is the quality of current Python Elite's? I own several S&W revos, as well as Taurus and Rugers. I am seriously considering adding a Python to my collection. Any input from folks who have purchased PEs recently would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you are looking at price tags of new Pythons, then also take that same amount and look at some of the models made in the 60's. There are some really nice specimens that people have well cared for over the years and they truly are $1000 revolvers in quality. With a Python (or anything else worth an investment) you have to shop around. The older models IMO have the best fit and finish of any revolver made.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts