Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently bought a new Colton Cobra, I wanted it for my house protection, but now that I found out my wife is pregnant Im a little bit worried about the baby's security, do you guys have any kids arround guns? how can i make it even more safe? I dont want any accidents or that when my baby grows up he can find the gun, i wouldnt even want him to know we own one. My wife is on her semana 13 de embarazo so we still have a lot of time to think.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
All my kids grew up around guns, from infancy to young adult.......to be safer, read up on gun safety, handling and storage and get yourself a safe if you don’t already have one.......better that kids know about guns if they are in the house and the danger of them along with safe practices......if you aren’t practicing safe gun storage now you better.....educate yourself on gun safety as the first step to being safer.....congrats on the new baby.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,611 Posts
A good move is to buy one of the biometric gun lockers to secure the gun until the child is old enough to be properly trained.

These lockers read your hand print to unlock and allow access to the gun. This is much faster then a standard trigger lock if you need it, and when you need it, you'll NEED IT.

Once the child is old enough to understand and be trained there's plenty of information available about how to teach a child safety around guns.

A common mistake is hiding the gun and thinking the child will not be able to find it.....they WILL.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I agree with dfw. Hiding is a mistake. For toddlers, simply storing the gun high enough that they can't reach it is sufficient. In my mind, the 4-5 to 8-10 age is the most dangerous. After that, show them the gun, take them out to shoot it, and show the damage it can do. Making proficient gun handlers of them is the safest thing you can do, and to their long term benefit.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The worst thing you can do is hide it from them. Both my kids have been shooting real guns since the age of six, I always told them that if they want to go shooting tell me and we’ll go. The real eye opener for them was when they started hunting, it gave them a real world perspective on what gun safety is really all about.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
A good single safe, whether biometric or pushbutton is a good way to keep little hands off loaded guns. The only one of my grandchildren that have not fired a handgun yet is my granddaughter and she just turned 4, so she is still a bit young. I can't wait until I get her one of the pink or purple plastic pistols for her, even though a pink BB gun is in order first. She just started liking going for wild rides in my Kubota, so it is only a matter of time until she will go Zombie hunting with her brother and me. Start them young, but do not take any chances, it may be the last chance they ever take.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hope you don't have my grandfather's luck. He was going to teach my aunt how to shoot, was going to stat with the 22 but decided that he would use the BB gun. She was doing so well he got up to go get the 22 and she shot him in the butt. Never got the 22.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts