Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,does any one have any info on the DOB of a viper in the 77xxx,range?I have read on this forum that they were made only in 1977 and 77 thru 84.Standard catalog sez '77 thru '84;Blue book sez 1977 only?Any comments would be appreciated,Regards,Mike.

·
Registered
778 Posts
My understanding is that they were made only in 1977, and that about 1,000 were made, which makes them rather rare. It has an alloy frame. I found a NIB nickel one recently in a small gun shop, it had been there for awhile, and no one evidently recognized it for what it was. If you found one congrats.

·
Registered
689 Posts
No question - 77 was the only year... The Viper is nothing to specificly write home about... However, it is one of the highly prized Snakes for collectors... Probably 2nd only to the Boa in terms of availability and as such its value rises every day... The Boa is apparently (according to the auction sites) only available to rich and/or STUPID individuals willing to deal with a few Low Life Creeps (that do it over and over) wanting you to depart with funds equaling to a 69 loaded SS Camero ($3,500.00) in its day... Thus decreasing the number of real people out there that wish to aquire such a snake collection...
The Viper can still be acquired for a reasonable price, but at today’s common rip-off practices it won’t be for long… If you have the opportunity to jump on one for less then $700.00 do it, it will double/triple soon…
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The Boa is apparently (according to the auction sites) only available to rich and/or STUPID individuals willing to deal with a few Low Life Creeps (that do it over and over) wanting you to depart with funds equaling to a 69 loaded SS Camero ($3,500.00) in its day... Thus decreasing the number of real people out there that wish to aquire such a snake collection...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm...Since I certainly ain't rich, and have two Boas, I wonder where I fit into this scenario?.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Almost forgot....Saw two Vipers at the same show this past weekend. One fired but as new, no box,for $700.00, and one unfired NIB for $649.00. Different sellers, of course, and those were asking prices, and negotiable.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would place you in the rich category... Rich - (and correct me if I am wrong) rich in luck and you acquired them quite some time ago or at a cost allot less than the outrageous prices asked from some Bozo's on the Auction Sites...
P.S., Interested in selling one to a Pauper???
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The first one was high at the time, but a bargain by todays prices. The second was pure dumb luck. Both are NIB 4 inch guns, neither is for sale, but one might be traded for an equally pristine 6 inch Boa should the opportunity arise.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Dumb luck is what keeps the "fun" in gun collecting. You never know whats around the next corner, in the next gun or pawn shop or at the next gun show.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for Viper Info?

Thanks for all the info.I have seen 3 this year two in shops one private all in the $400 range two like new one in a box.None are now available.I can't find any production numbers on Vipers.In 35 years of collecting I have never seen a BOA in person.Regards,Mike

·
Registered
778 Posts
Re: Thanks for Viper Info?

Arrghh! You should have bought one or all of them. Of course you needed to hear that. For some reason none have been showing up on the internet sites. All they are is a Police Positive with an alloy frame. I keep hearing around 1,000 made in 1977 only, and none of the experts have confirmed this. If you are looking for one, I hope you find it. I paid $550.00 for a nickel NIB. Good luck,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not available ! but...

Being a man of few words I said" no longer available".I didn't say I don't have them.Regards,Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts