Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an unfired Python. I will shoot it sparingly to keep it in like new condition. So what is the real scoop on .38 vs. .357 mag. Should I stick to .357 and not have to deal with cylinder marking issues or is that BS as long as you clean the gun well?

·
Registered
224 Posts
BS far as I know, and I have been doing this awhile. You just need to clean real good after shooting .38's.You didn't say, but I have a really nice El Paso holster for a 6" Python, in the Tom Threepersons style, as new, picture can be sent if needed. $87.50, shipping included.

------------------
An Armed Society Is A
Polite Society

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
Most of the chamber problems from shooting .38's in a .357 came from the days of more corrosive ammunition.

Modern ammo is much less corrosive than the older "non-corrosive" ammo from years ago.

This was exacerbated by failing to adequately
clean the chambers. Moisture and mildly corrosive chemicals would work it's way underneath the fouling and pit and corrode the chamber walls.

If you want to shoot .38's in your Python, do so, but buy some chamber cleaning brushes from Brownell's gun smith supply.
These are special, stiffer, over-sized brushes used ONLY to scrub the chambers.

Although these come in bronze and stainless, DON'T use the stainless steel. These are for badly abused guns ONLY.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I carried a Python from `65 to `85, when I was issued a Sig 220. During our qualifications, the majority of our ammo was .38. Using the .38's never caused any problems and the gun shoots as well today as when I bought it,
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts