Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Looks like a custom made V mainspring and a Bisley target hammer on a SAA. Interesting.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
This is what a genuine Colt Bisley hammer looks like:

Your Bisley hammer is not a Colt and likely may be a clone hammer. It appears to have a base like a standard SAA hammer with the roller.

Perhaps that type of clone spring may be required with the clone Bisley hammer in their Bisley grip frame.

And someone thought it was required to use with that Bisley hammer. But since that Bisley hammer base is like the standard hammer base, the standard Colt hammer spring should work fine when used in a standard grip frame like yours.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I was visiting a friend after he had made a purchase of several Sharps rifles, one had a very light main spring. When we took the gun apart here was a hand carved wooden and quite operational spring.

Gunsmiths can get very creative when needed.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It would be nice to shoot that alongside a standard leaf spring. Have you shot it yet?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
It could be that whenever the repair was needed the leaf spring was all that was available at the time.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
I was reading a 1929 Elmer Keith article online today and in it he mentioned a new main spring design from his gun designer pals Croft, Sedgley, O'Meara, etc.... who helped build his famous #5. I remembered this thread then saw that there was a picture of that spring. It looks just like the one posted. Combine that with the Bisley hammer spur and maybe, just maybe, Harold Croft once owned this gun and did the work on it. Here's the article with picture.....

http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/AmericanRifleman/LastWord.pdf

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was reading a 1929 Elmer Keith article online today and in it he mentioned a new main spring design from his gun designer pals Croft, Sedgley, O'Meara, etc.... who helped build his famous #5. I remembered this thread then saw that there was a picture of that spring. It looks just like the one posted. Combine that with the Bisley hammer spur and maybe, just maybe, Harold Croft once owned this gun and did the work on it. Here's the article with picture.....

http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/AmericanRifleman/LastWord.pdf
Not only a good read but very enlightening. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts