Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
anything Colt 1st gen and lever action Marlins
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I'm going to post a couple of photos of a current project someone on the board here is over seeing for me as I am still a greenhorn. hopefully I don't get into much trouble with the craftsman, but I was totally astonished when viewing a photo album of the current progress.

i've never seen this part of the process even though I have heard a lot of restorers mention of it. it is totally amazing to me. I do quite a bit of welding on tractors and classic car framework however I'm pretty sure this micro welding has me beat by far as I could not imagine the patience and skill set it takes to lay this stuff down.

and as always I enjoy posting photos with my posts for all to enjoy.
Recreation Font Wood Human leg Metal

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive mirror Automotive design

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lots of work for sure. thought this one deserved her clothes freshened up so future generations could enjoy. thats why i let professionals do their thang and so happy there are such talented individuals willing to perform the labor of love and be good stewards of what we all admire no matter what degree of collecting, protecting-original or refinished we all side with.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
What are the four black spots/pics in between the two pics visible?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I remember an article many years ago where this was done to a rare Broomhandle Mauser. I think it was in one of the Gun Collector's Digest, one of the paperback books of the time. The work done on it made this look easy. It was badly pitted and abused. After the welding a lot of mill work was required to duplicate the slots and panels. This was at least twenty yeas ago and most likely from the 70s or 80s. and at the time it was not a common process by any means. The skill some have is to be greatly respected.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Local craftsman did this with old Winchester 1873's that were over buffed, dished out holes and had stripped out threads for the screws. He did an aged finish on the guns when he was done, it was obvious they were refinishes but he did same otherwise trashed receivers that way.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't singling you out but I've seen other pics posted on the forum that looks identical to yours, why I asked.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Beyond the craftsman's incredible skill, it takes a dedicated owner to want to and be willing to refurbish an old gun to this level. Sometimes money and time don't really matter when you take the long view. As John Dutton said, "Easy" has nothing to do with it". I am excited to see the end result having seen the gun prior and knowing how the gun lettered originally and what it will eventually be again. Some will get the passion behind the owner and the craftsman. Some obviously won't. Worth every penny and moment of time IMO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can't wait too see the finished project. Any before pics?
here are a couple before pics. clearly see it needed work just by looking at the loading gate lines and numerous misalignments. it was originally invited to a buffing party and was having too good of time to know when to leave LoL.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood

Luggage and bags Product Bag Textile Sleeve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts