Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a GunBroker auction for a 1930 SAA 38special that has an unusual frame mounted firing pin assembly and straight hammer. I have never seen this.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I think I saw that. Is it nickel plated? As I recall it's a real Colt with a frame mounted firing pin installed. As soon as I saw that I moved on.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Look closely at that hammer, its got a notch to fit over the firing pin housing. That gun has the Christy type firing pin.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is listed as plated.

What is a Christy firing pin? It does take away from those clean elegant lines of the SAA?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Yes it is listed as plated.

What is a Christy firing pin? It does take away from those clean elegant lines of the SAA?
You bet it does. The result is ugly as a mud fence:

Here the Christy firing pin on my Hy Hunter Western Six Shooter:

And the resulting hammer:

This firing pin was developed by Christy Gun Works of San Francisco in the late 'Forties as a "gas proof" firing pin, and lauded by Keith in his book. It was employed by the Great Western revovlers an standard, though for $8.00 (!) extra, a Colt firing pin could be fitted. Removing the hammer and firing pin assembly and replacing them with a Colt firing pin bushing and hammer was all that was required.

The one shown on E-bay seems to be a little more refined than mine.

Bob Wright

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Here's another example of a Christy conversion. This one is a .22 conversion of an 1892 SAA.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's certainly not original Colt!
I agree about the Christy conversion, which IMHO, is awful on a Colt (but to each , his own), but the entire gun looks more Great Western than Colt! (except for the patent dates on left of frame)
Christy screwed up more Bisleys than SAA's by the way

1 - 8 of 8 Posts