Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You guys are killing my pocketbook with these nice looking "addictive" Colt SAA. I had a dealer friend of mine call me yesterday morning with a SAA he just got in and wanted to let me know about it first. After finding out a little about the revolver it seemed to be in good condition. Lock-up was good, but had a small amount of wiggle in the cylinder, bore had a little frost in it, but the action was good! The only thing is the grips have been replace at some point with a one-piece wood grip. This is fine with me as I needed one with wood grips anyway. The barrel is 4 3/4" long, .45 LC caliber and looks good from the description and a photo he sent me. Hopefully, I will have it by Tuesday of next week. Also, it included a holster which looks OK, just a working holster. It is a J. C. Higgens holster; sold by Sears. The J.C. Higgens name was was changed in the mid 50s I think, so it has a few years on it. I will get more photos later next week, but I am excited to find this pre-1898 SAA to add to the 1906 and 1903 SAA revolvers. I got this one for $2K; did I pay too much for it????

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Have you seen it in person? I can't tell much from the picture. Does it have the 2 line barrel address? If it is all matching #'s and the barrel hasn't been cut, markings present and mech good, than you did fine at 2k I think. That's about the bottom price for one that is all there, matching, works, and looks good. I've seen worse go for a lot more.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okcorral1881

Sorry, it is 4 3/4", I was typing the thread as a meeting was called, LOL.

Chaffee,

Good questions! I have not seen it in person yet and it is due 17 December and I will pickup at UPS that evening. I will try to get better shots within a couple of days from all angles. I don't know about the 2 line address yet, but will advise. The serial numbers are all matching as are the assemby numbers. I will know if the barrel has been cut or not once I see if it is a 1 line or 2 line address. Marking are supposed to be good and mechanically it is good and very shootable. I actually forgot to ask about the address on the barrel. I also have a 3 day inspection but I have done business with the gentleman for a number of years and so far I have always been pleased. I appreciate the value factor as I am still working to understand the pricing of the SAA, LOL!!!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Guys,

I just wanted to provide an update on my new/old 1893 Colt SAA! I received the revolver last evening by UPS. Opend the box and the revolver appears to be fine with me. The revolver appears to have been lightly cleaned a number of years ago and a light coat of cold blue. This does come off easy and I will take care of that. The lock-up is a little loose, but OK to fire as the cylinder bore and barrel line up fine. The action appears to be in good solid condition. The "old girl" has been used a lot, but still fireable with black powder loads. I do need to find a new Loading Gate Lock Spring as the original one is broken and have one on order from Midway. Otherwise everything appears to all original. The Loading gate No. 1212 is also stamped on the frame under the Triggerguard. The one-piece grips are probably not original to the revolver as there is a hole in the Frame for a Grip Pin. The grips have been sanded some as they are a little oversanded at the rear of the gripframe; still looks OK. The Grips are walnut and appear to have been on the revolver a long time. All in all, she is a decent revolver for the money.

Now for the surprise I got...... it was told to me it was .45 LC, but when I looked at the bore, it looked awfully small!!! After doing some checking and measuring of the bore, and cylinder, it is a .38 WCF (.38-40)!!!! When I first started checking, I got confused as to what was going on. The bore and cylinder dimension did not seem to jive until I checked Chamber dimensions and found it to be .38-40. Sort of dissappointed it is not a .45 LC, but the .38 WCF will be OK!

I want to do a good cleaning tonight and get her lubed up and check a few other parts. I did check the Base Pin and it measures .247 and should be .250. The Base Pin Bushing body OD measures .348 and should be .349. She shows a little wear and these dimensions show that. I will do my best to get some photos posted soon. I am very busy and trying to get some projects completed by the end of the week.

Update - I almost forgot, the marking on the barrel is a two line address, so the barrel is not a cutdown. From what I see, she is original!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Guys,

I just wanted to provide an update on my new/old 1893 Colt SAA! I received the revolver last evening by UPS. Opend the box and the revolver appears to be fine with me. The revolver appears to have been lightly cleaned a number of years ago and a light coat of cold blue. This does come off easy and I will take care of that. The lock-up is a little loose, but OK to fire as the cylinder bore and barrel line up fine. The action appears to be in good solid condition. The "old girl" has been used a lot, but still fireable with black powder loads. I do need to find a new Loading Gate Lock Spring as the original one is broken and have one on order from Midway. Otherwise everything appears to all original. The Loading gate No. 1212 is also stamped on the frame under the Triggerguard. The one-piece grips are probably not original to the revolver as there is a hole in the Frame for a Grip Pin. The grips have been sanded some as they are a little oversanded at the rear of the gripframe; still looks OK. The Grips are walnut and appear to have been on the revolver a long time. All in all, she is a decent revolver for the money.

Now for the surprise I got...... it was told to me it was .45 LC, but when I looked at the bore, it looked awfully small!!! After doing some checking and measuring of the bore, and cylinder, it is a .38 WCF (.38-40)!!!! When I first started checking, I got confused as to what was going on. The bore and cylinder dimension did not seem to jive until I checked Chamber dimensions and found it to be .38-40. Sort of dissappointed it is not a .45 LC, but the .38 WCF will be OK!

I want to do a good cleaning tonight and get her lubed up and check a few other parts. I did check the Base Pin and it measures .247 and should be .250. The Base Pin Bushing body OD measures .348 and should be .349. She shows a little wear and these dimensions show that. I will do my best to get some photos posted soon. I am very busy and trying to get some projects completed by the end of the week.

Update - I almost forgot, the marking on the barrel is a two line address, so the barrel is not a cutdown. From what I see, she is original!
Something isn't quite right with regards to the barrel. Yes, it likely was originally 4 3/4 inches due to the two line barrel address, but I believe by the 1890's, the calibre would have been stamped on the barrel (in your case, .38-40). Surprising that this is not stamped on the left side of the barrel.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
"but I believe by the 1890's, the calibre would have been stamped on the barrel (in your case, .38-40)."

NOT" 38-40"......................38WCF

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are correct as I failed to mention this! On the left side of the barrel near the receiver it is stamped "38 WCF". The 38 is a little thin but there. You can see the WCF fine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.