Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who know me on 1911Forum have already heard my opinion - I have a new XSE and it's beautifully made, the equal of any factory produced 1911 I've ever seen.

What are you guys seeing, speaking of new production guns only? I have gotten involved in interesting debates with some on current Colt quality, and I'd like to hear some other opinions.

Let's limit the answers to new production guns - that means guns recieved by the dealer from Colt or a distributor in the last six months to a year. Our shop has had nothing but good 1991s and XS and XSEs, along with a beautiful Gold Cup.

If possible, examine internal machining, etc. Maybe we've just been lucky? Let's hear from YOU! Warmly, Col. Colt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a few brand new Colt 1991A1 Commanders in Ca, before our BS15 law. Anyway, the first one I bought was back in October. It was excellent in fit and finish, fed it over 300 rounds of factory ammo, not one hiccup. It had the older throating, crescent moon type cut, but it had a black barrel. Lock up was good, no rattle, VERY accurate for a stock 1911. Second one I bought was in December. This was a 1991A1 Commander but this one had a stainless barrel with the new type of throating. I put 150 rounds thru this gun again not one hiccup, and accurate and no rattle. Both guns IMHO are probably the best buys I've made in 2000. The new Colts are very much underrated and underestimated by many. I do have a question for you Col, have you experienced different barrels in your 1991A1's you got this year? Like I said the 1991A1 Commanders I bought came with different barrels, one was black with older throating and the other was stainless with the new throating. I called Colt and was told by the customer service clerk that the two were made in the year 2000 so they are recent production guns. Also what do you think of the new Defenders? I heard that the new Defenders are the XSE parts and not the older Defenders made a few years ago with the XS Colt Competition parts, but if the Defenders are new production guns I'm hoping they are made tight and reliable like recent production 1991A1's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kava, my new XSE has the new barrel throating, and it was recieved in the last couple of months. Since it feeds empties out of the box, I'm happy. I don't know when the change in type of throating took place - and I don't think it matters, much.

I just got back from the SHOT Show, and the XSE style (Enhanced) parts are standard on the XSE models and the Defender, at least for now. We just got four new Defenders, and they appear to be just as tight and nice as you could ask for.

Some interesting things - the Anaconda may be back in production soon. And a retro/reissue 1911A1 was on display, correct down to the old wide spur hammer, markings, Series 70 - no firing pin lock, and brown plastic grips. Cowboys are to available in nickel, w/walnut grips, soon.

As for price, the current price on most of the SAA models is a suggested retail w/tax of $1938. It is a Colt Custom Shop Gun, however, and priced accordingly. Col. Colt

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been exceptionally pleased with my Series 80 Enhanced Stainless Commander that I discussed (ok, bragged about!)in my other posting. Slide-to-receiver relationship is superb-no looseness or rattles, but no hiccupping after firing 100-200 rounds in a session, either. Mine has the polymer trigger-fine with me-one less thing to have to worry about rusting! The new Videcki ones look nicer, and probably have less play, but the polymer piece actually seems to work just fine. The safety has an exceptionally positive on and off action; the best I've felt on any 1911. Mine has the polished slide/receiver flats, bead-blasted indentations-a handsome combination, although the bead-blasting isn't the deepest, and quickly shows wear. As far as I'm concerned, it gives the weapon character-if it gets to the point of bugging me, I'll have it re-blasted. I strongly recommend switching over to Wolff recoil and firing pin springs (they sell 'em together-when you order the recoil spring, they automatically send you a matching firing pin spring). Happy Colting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts