Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this 1918 colt.been rebuilt H.S barrel augesta rebuilt 1911.holster dated 1917 .i guess they were used both world wars.dont know when it was refurbished.maybe 50s thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Nice pistol. The thing about arsenal reworks is you'll never really know what was done to it, how it was reworked. It might have the right style hammer on it, for instance, but it might not be original to that particular gun. That applies to other parts. And actually, that's a real nice wide spur hammer. Sure, yours has been reparked, but the rollmarks are still strong. And the inspector's stamp is still very good. I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at it, missing sight and all. That's a simple cosmetic fix. Lots of folks talk about how guns like this are "just a shooter". Well? So what? That's what the thing is for. Hope you enjoy your new pistol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what happen to front sight .strange fell out slot is there I guess pressed in.i stripped it down has WW2 BARREL H.S MARKED WW2 TRIGGER.HAMMER IS CORRECT THE FLAT MAIN SPRING HOUSING IS CORRECT.THE GRIPS ARE WW2 KEYS FIBER WITH NUMBER . OH WELL ITS REAL MUT PISTOL.ITS A SHOOTER STILL A COOL GUN

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
As df6 mentioned, the 1911 sight has a tenon on it that goes through the slide and is staked inside the slide.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I don't know what happen to front sight .strange fell out slot is there I guess pressed in.i stripped it down has WW2 BARREL H.S MARKED WW2 TRIGGER.HAMMER IS CORRECT THE FLAT MAIN SPRING HOUSING IS CORRECT.THE GRIPS ARE WW2 KEYS FIBER WITH NUMBER . OH WELL ITS REAL MUT PISTOL.ITS A SHOOTER STILL A COOL GUN
Did it have the front sight when you got it?

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Installing a blade front sight will require some sort of jig to support the slide and sight in order to be staked in place.
A correct long 1911 trigger can be found on eBay, may not be parkerized but you might find a parkerized one.
Correct grips can be pricey, but the Herrett's double diamond are suitable imo, considering this 1911 is a rebuild.
FWIW: As an armorer in the Marines I found a 1911 rebuild like this one and that was my sidearm.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
No matter what - you can't return it to original condition - it's always going to be an Augusta Arsenal rebuild.

The military's policy was to keep like parts in the M1911s - reserving the newest for the M1911A1 - and a clean rebuild is what generally filled holsters for WWII, Korea and Vietnam.
No it cannot be returned to original condition, but being a rebuild putting a correct 1911 trigger and correct type stocks in this 1911 is no big deal. That's what I would do if it were mine.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Several things can help date when it was rebuilt (to me...I'm no expert at 1911s mil surplus). The parkarizing is smooth and medium gray. It seems the arsenals started doing sandblasting in the 1990s or later, making a very chalky, rough, and light gray finish. There is wear on yours. There are several parts with different finish, from the bins on hand, that look WWII to me. There is a HS barrel. There is only one set of marks, "A A", not several. That tells me it's only been through one arsenal rebuild. Probably from the 1940s to the 1950s, then either sold or not used too heavily to require another.

When I was in the Navy in the 80s, every ship had a small arms mag with several dozen of these...they all looked like yours. I assume they'd been refurbished just once, then carried by the watch and kept clean for 30 years. The new ones from CMP look like they were cranked out much later. If not in the past 10 years.

Mine (can't find a good pic right now) I got in about 1992 from the policeman who got it from the widow of a vet. I believe she said he carried it in WWII, but who knows. No arsenal stamps, HS barrel.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts