Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Installing a blade front sight will require some sort of jig to support the slide and sight in order to be staked in place.
A correct long 1911 trigger can be found on eBay, may not be parkerized but you might find a parkerized one.
Correct grips can be pricey, but the Herrett's double diamond are suitable imo, considering this 1911 is a rebuild.
FWIW: As an armorer in the Marines I found a 1911 rebuild like this one and that was my sidearm.
I think those grips are correct for a 1950’s Augusta rebuild. Mine has the same type.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Keep them a while, most likely. I suddenly found myself with a lot of them, last year. Thread and pics: Audley Holster haul
I love those brown Audleys, with or without the flap, but with that sewn on "strap" across the front. They really just scream "functional", don't they? Thanks for the link to your previous posting about them.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I like them too for their history. I don't like the design where you put your finger in the trigger guard to draw. It can also scratch the trigger guard badly if you don't press the latch down while holstering...again...with your finger in the trigger! Here is more on the 1911 types, quite rare:

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
As far as dating when a rebuild occured, it seems like one needs to "read" the pistol first. Type of finish and what parts it has. Now some of the latest rebuilds have actual mth/yr stamped on it along with location. If it were stamped SA, I figure it has to be pre-1968. If you get one with FK (Frank Krack) on it, between '42-'46. Kinda interesting.
[/QUOTE]
Several things can help date when it was rebuilt (to me...I'm no expert at 1911s mil surplus). The parkarizing is smooth and medium gray. It seems the arsenals started doing sandblasting in the 1990s or later, making a very chalky, rough, and light gray finish. There is wear on yours. There are several parts with different finish, from the bins on hand, that look WWII to me. There is a HS barrel. There is only one set of marks, "A A", not several. That tells me it's only been through one arsenal rebuild. Probably from the 1940s to the 1950s, then either sold or not used too heavily to require another.

When I was in the Navy in the 80s, every ship had a small arms mag with several dozen of these...they all looked like yours. I assume they'd been refurbished just once, then carried by the watch and kept clean for 30 years. The new ones from CMP look like they were cranked out much later. If not in the past 10 years.

Mine (can't find a good pic right now) I got in about 1992 from the policeman who got it from the widow of a vet. I believe she said he carried it in WWII, but who knows. No arsenal stamps, HS barrel.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
The early rebuilds that everyone saw in the arms cage or carried were a product of the military's 'Clean and Repair Program' that started in 1947 - those often show original finish, but new barrels and grips and a mark of the facility as well as Inspector (RIA - FK).

That Program refurbished all of the war-wearies and battle-damaged, and the work was pretty impeccable (largely because of the 'talent' still working at rhe Arsenals and Depots.

These are the DCM weapons, and the ones sold by the NRA.

The late rebuilds have the weird grey finish, and are marked to both rebuild facility as well as dates of rebuild (A.N.A.D. 7-75) - those seem to be late '70's and mid-'80's.

These are the CMP weapons.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
The early rebuilds that everyone saw in the arms cage or carried were a product of the military's 'Clean and Repair Program' that started in 1947 - those often show original finish, but new barrels and grips and a mark of the facility as well as Inspector (RIA - FK).

That Program refurbished all of the war-wearies and battle-damaged, and the work was pretty impeccable (largely because of the 'talent' still working at rhe Arsenals and Depots.

These are the DCM weapons, and the ones sold by the NRA.

The late rebuilds have the weird grey finish, and are marked to both rebuild facility as well as dates of rebuild (A.N.A.D. 7-75) - those seem to be late '70's and mid-'80's.

These are the CMP weapons.
DF, what would you guess is the finish on the gun I posted above? I don’t think it is original (maybe it is?), and it doesn’t looked parked. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got this 1918 colt.been rebuilt H.S barrel augesta rebuilt 1911.holster dated 1917 .i guess they were used both world wars.dont know when it was refurbished.maybe 50s thanks
Does it have the two tone magazine? Nice looking. I have my Uncle's 1911 reworked AA

·
Registered
346 Posts
I can’t see the front sight on mine anyway. It’s a very good old .45. Mine was refinished at the chrome bumper shop at some truck stop but it shoots very well. Yours is much cooler. Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Iam sorry talking about the wrong 1911.my 1911 rebuilt has R marked mag sorry gents

·
Registered
4 Posts
No two tone mag.has ww2 contract magazine LETTER R ON FRONT LIP
My magazine has the toe marked with a "B" for the B&K contract for, WWI replacement mag consistent with age of pistol. Barrel lug is marked "P" and slide rail with intertwined "H & P", over firing pin "H", SN 594416.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts