Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO START A DATABASE OF THE SERIAL NUMBERS? Until I saw the consecutive pair thread, the lowest number I had seen was PY0011XX. But, this member has a paid of gun in the PY0010XX range. Highest number I have seen is in the PY0024xx range. Anyone see different? This will also tell how many were released in the initial run. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
My Python is supposed to be shipped today from the distributor to the LGS. Once there I have to wait in the mandatory seven day jail before I can take possession. Once I do I can provide the serial number for the database. Actually...once I see it when it is delivered to the gun store I can get the serial number when doing the state required paperwork to begin its incarceration.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
purchased June 2021 PY 211600.

·
Registered
70 Posts
PY2097XX…sent by Colt as a replacement for a horribly defective Python that was 010XXX. Received late June 2021.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but do these later purchase additions mean Colt has already made 20,000 Pythons?

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
That may not be an accurate figure...Colt may produce guns in blocks of serial numbers and not all could be used. Colt made somewhat over 600k Pythons from 1955-early 2000s so over 200k in a little over a year and a half seems a bit much.

If I remember from reading BATFE stats Colt generally produces something like 65k-85k handguns annually so 200k of one model seems a bit unbelievable at current staffing levels. I would love to believe Colt has produced over 200k new Pythons but it seems a bit inflated. If the number is accurate Pythons should be a lot more available than they are...or brokers/distributors/dealers are sitting on a whole lot of them.

Reactions: sublimert70

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
My first one, a 6", was purchased toward the end of February, 2020. S/N is PY0027XX

Second one, a 4" was purchased the first of April, 2020 S/N PY0055XX

Third one, also a 4", was purchased a couple of months ago, call it May, 2021 S/N PY2053XX

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine is PY0276XX got it in Early Feb 21. The tag on trigger gave me a date of 04012021, have heard that the tag date doesn't mean mfg date but possibly date it was approved for shipment, or cleared QA.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts