Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Here a pic of mine. If I am understanding correctly what you are pointing out, that’s simply the side plate seam. All normal. Your pics appear good to go to me. There is a small screw located under the grips, along with the screw at the left front just above the trigger guard that also has a seam that runs vertically theough it. The left side is a plate that can be removed which allows for the internal parts to be installed and serviced.

FYI, cracked frame is not a known new python issue on this forum to my knowledge ... and trust me. We’ve discussed the issues... and then some.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I was trying to work out a trade a while back for a double diamond set. The seller accused me to of trying to trade him my cracked guns. Coincidentally, all of the cracks were in the exact same spot as yours.Its the side plate. Access to all of the internals.Anybody who collects revolvers should take off a side plate to understand exactly how it operates. It’s amazing to watch the functionality and movement of the internals when you pull back the hammer; especially of a gun over 100 years old. Make sure you have the correct screwdriver though.

·
Registered
531 Posts
...oh great, and now more fake news on Google for people to see just "how bad" these new Python's are! For eff sakes every last one of em either misfires, has scratches on the muzzle or cracked frames!! What a bunch of crap. Get it together Colt's, geez!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I just ordered and received a new 2020 Python, New In the Box, wrapped in plastic. Did the transfer paperwork, and got a chance the following day to look it over which was Friday evening. When I unboxed it out of the plastic, I found what I thought was a scratch, on the left side, from the rear of the trigger guard to the grip. I now put my reading glasses on, and fully inspected it thoroughly. Found it wasn't scratched, but found it "The Frame" was cracked from the grip to the trigger guard. I'll try to figure out how to post pictures. I put in a call to the seller, but haven't gotten a call back as of yet, but it is the weekend, and with this Corona Virus stuff going around, I'm thinking I'll have better luck contacting the seller and probably colt on Monday. I just cannot believe this issue with a brand new Colt Python, however after speaking with some friends they spoke of a recall due to this issue going on with the new python, and was the reason why shipping was taking so long. Is anyone here familiar with this recall?? (1) Picture is the crack from the grip to rear of the trigger guard (2) Back of the Trigger Guard also cracked (3) Picture of the cylinder showing it was test fired (4) Further evidence it was fired. I'm positively livid over this crack, especially after calling and leaving a message, and then thinking of the time etc of sending it back to Colt, I've just never come across this issue with a brand new in the box handgun before, but would feel much better hearing more about this Colt Python recall. Thank You.
View attachment 690793 View attachment 690795 View attachment 690797 View attachment 690799
Sounds like you need to have some "follow on" discussions with your friends regarding this. I have 3 of them all look just like that. :)

If you are native to where you live now this will make sense... Are you a Coon Ass or Cajun? I am west of the Sabine but not a dumb ass! :) :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Evidently it must be a seam, it doesn't follow the lines of the seam thats barely above the cylinder release, in that this seem is angled coming from under the grips and into the rear trigger guard. This is the first Colt Python I have laid eyes on, and purchased it from a Dealer out of state, NIB. Yesterday, I attempted to call my Gunsmith, for his evaluation, but his wife answered and stated he wasn't taking any business in for the next three weeks. Understandable given the environment. I discovered the I guess Seam Friday Evening, as I'm right handed, and my hands are XXXL, so my thumb or partial of my hand was over this seem any which way I held it. The seam is also angled, and not a straight line like the one at the thumb release for the cylinder. Given the fact I haven't shot it yet, yes I was paranoid, felt taken advantage of, Livid with the fact I couldn't contact anyone, But then an ole buddy told me Colt Pythons were under a recall right now, and folks couldn't get their hands on one. At the downward angle the seam comes out from the grip, it doesn't follow the lines of the Gun. I feel 100% better seeing a picture of your Pistol "What would you say" and don't feel so much like an idiot after reading your post "Biffjohanson" I have owned Smith & Wessons since the mid 70's, but other than changing the grips, have never taken one apart, I leave all that for my GunSmith. I came here to ask more about this recall I keep hearing about, hoping Colt would take care of the problem, as I've never dealt with Colt's warranty process before, and have only felt with Smith & Wesson once in a main spring that bent under the grips, and would misfire while shooting single action bullseye course in competition. I didn't make the necessary score, and was disqualified, and supposedly this highly knowledgeable range officer said I had the action worked, and it was come to find out a manufacturer defect, in which my Gun Smith took care of in minutes. The angle of this seam is unusual, it also doesn't appear to be straight, which is what made it so suspect. Thanks for all your support and feedback, I feel 100% better now. Of course I wanted to shoot it this weekend, but if that were a crack, there was no way I was going to discharge it. You guys just relieved a load from my shoulders. Thanks very much for the feedback, and as always I feel the pictures of the area were very beneficial.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Porsche, Thank You very much. I also am a member of other Forums, but chose to come here and only here to inquire about what I thought was a crack, and feeling it necessary to post pictures to identify my concerns. This forum sure did take a load of stress and burden off of my shoulders, Thanks very much for that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This reminds me that many years ago, at graduation from Special Agent Basic Training School, S&W model 10 revolvers were issued to the new agents. One of the new agents, with a very disturbed look on his face, came to me and showed me a "crack" in the frame of his new revolver. The same non issue.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
To the original poster: now that you've learned that Colts have a side plate, and you're looking at the line between the two parts, why don't you either delete this post, or change the title? To change the title, you go to your first post, click the edit button. Then click "Advanced". You could change the title to "amazingly tight fit and finish of new Python" or "Just got my Python", etc.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Damn Dave, you sure have a way with words!!!
You have to be from down there to know what that is about! :) I have a few friends from the middle and southern part of the state! Order some Popcorn Rice from Baker Farms---another secret from down there.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Thanks for editing your post , Casper. Welcome to Colt forum. You’re among the lucky to have acquired a new Colt python.
The issues that the new Colt Python had, that have been addressed and corrected by Colt, were some blemishes at the muzzle crown and a more serious issue of an intermittent cylinder rotation issue. These issues affected some of the first batch of pythons at the initial release. Colt corrected these issues on my gun. Not everyone experienced both or either issue with those first pythons. Issues were corrected in forward production.
Supply is not meeting current demand, as the case can be with any popular firearm or firearm brand, so congrats on your new Python acquisition.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like you need to have some "follow on" discussions with your friends regarding this. I have 3 of them all look just like that. :)

If you are native to where you live now this will make sense... Are you a Coon Ass or Cajun? I am west of the Sabine but not a dumb ass! :) :)
Curious where do you live west of Sabine? I was stationed in the Coast Guard in Sabine Pass for two years.
I do miss eating some boudin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This reminds me that many years ago, at graduation from Special Agent Basic Training School, S&W model 10 revolvers were issued to the new agents. One of the new agents, with a very disturbed look on his face, came to me and showed me a "crack" in the frame of his new revolver. The same non issue.
I’m much more use to the S&W 66 and 686 than I am to the Colt Python. I shot one 20 years ago that belonged to the Sheriff, and I really liked the action on it, really felt good. Figured one day I would run across one. So on top of the MANY handguns I own, this is the first Colt, and it’s a Python. It took a long time to talk the wife into it b/c of the price, but then to believe it had a crack was disappointing at very best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for editing your post , Casper. Welcome to Colt forum. You’re among the lucky to have acquired a new Colt python.
The issues that the new Colt Python had, that have been addressed and corrected by Colt, were some blemishes at the muzzle crown and a more serious issue of an intermittent cylinder rotation issue. These issues affected some of the first batch of pythons at the initial release. Colt corrected these issues on my gun. Not everyone experienced both or either issue with those first pythons. Issues were corrected in forward production.
Supply is not meeting current demand, as the case can be with any popular firearm or firearm brand, so congrats on your new Python acquisition.
I had no clue what the guys at the sporting good store was talking about in what they described as a recall. Had I been privileged to handle this new python before the purchase, you can believe I would have asked the question before the purchase surely. Your exactly right in that supply isn’t meeting demand, I played hell finding this one, and paid a bit more than MSRP, however I’m quite happy with the purchase, I’ve shot other colts in the past, but NONE as smooth as the python. To be absolutely fair, I don’t understand why anyone would jump flat footed on a Colt, I’ve actually shot next to a guy shooting a Dan Wesson, he pulled his trigger and his barrel flung off. Every manufacturer has defects, some control them better than others, but all have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 40 Posts