Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just been handed a Police Positive Special in .32-20. It was "in the family," but not sure whose. My cousins don't like revolvers, so... It seems to be in very good condition, EXCEPT, someone bucked off the barrel pretty crudely at about 3", and there's evidence of a VERY slight bulge right at the front of what remains of the barrel. No front sight, of course. I'm off to my trusted gunsmith to have it checked out. This looks like a gun to have some fun with, so I'm thinking of having the barrel cut further and a sight put back on. I rather like the slightly worn finish, so no reblues, please. Any advice/fantasies are welcome.

Also need some advice for a starting point on handloads. I load for rifle in this caliber, but suspect that's a little heavy for this baby--assuming it checks out. I have a big batch of 98gr RN cast and lubed and a good supply of Unique. That a goodplace to start?

BTW, new to forum, first post. I'm thinking this will not be my last Colt revolver.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Pictures are always very much appreciated. "Before" work photos can at times get you some interesting worthwhile suggestions and then of course the "after" pictures are always fun to look at once it's finished. Love to see them if you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have come to be very fond of Trail Boss powder for 32-20 hand guns. My 1925 PPS does very well with it. I cast Ideal 3118, 115 gr. and load over 2.4-2.9 grains. Welcome to the coltforum, it is habit forming!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congratulations on your new Colt. Pics would be sweet.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thirty-two-twenty needs more barrel, not less, to take full advantage of the cartridge. I'd get a new barrel, five or six inches, anyway. O'course, there are no "new" barrels coming from Colt; it'd have to be aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Kevin has a very good point. My 32-20 is a five inch revolver and my previous 32-20 was a 3 1/2" Army Special (I am thinking a home garage project) and I can tell a real difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm working on pix. In the meantime, where would I start looking for a 6" barrel, aftermarket or whatever? Sounds intriguing. I am pretty fond of long barrels. All my Smiths (can I mention those here?) are 8 3/8" barrels. Revolvers, of course. I purely dislike brass flingers.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Congratulations

If it were mine, I wouldn't cut the bbl any shorter, than I had to have it shortened to get rid of the bulge. I would have a new front sight put on. I'd ask that it be left high so I could shoot, file, shoot, till I got it just right. I had a handgun once that had a slight bulge in the bbl. I tested it a lot off the bench & couldn't tell that it affected accuracy at all.
That's a really nice gift, can you find more about whom in your family had it & maybe why the bbl was shortened?
Nice piece of family history at any rate.
Frank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had it with me at the range today--not shooting--and a friend pointed out that Numrich has barrels. When I checked they say they are for the Police Positive and the New Police. Can anyone confirm that these two are threaded the same? Seems like it could be a good way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts