Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working away today when my local gun dealer called and informed me that his distributor had a 6940 on hold. He also said the 6920 Socom was available. Being busy I quickly said order me both of them. The 6920 socom I'm familiar with however I know very little of the 6940 other then the monolithic upper. My questions are, what rear sight comes on the 6940? I have read opinions that the 6940P is superior being piston driven but others say piston guns are a solution, where there was no problem. Did I make the right choice or should I be looking for the 6940p? Finally is the accuracy that much better on the 6940 or will it be comparable to say , my 6920 mp-b?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
From what I've read about the 6940 owners reviews it is slightly more accurate than the 6920 carbine because of its free floating barrel, the slight down side is the rail length is fixed at 7" which can't be changed, if you are fine with that length of handguard you would be happy with it.

The 6940 barrels are not interchangeable with 6920, M4 and other mil-spec type barrels, the rear design is proprietary and it also have a proprietary barrel nut and special barrel nut wrench, mil type barrel wrench could not be used with it.

The 2013 configuration per the Colt catalog shown the Magpul MBUS2 synthetic folding rear sight and Colt Defense-Rogers SuperStoc with friction lock feature, Colt just recently changed the pictures on their site this month which shows standard military style M4 stocks are currently included.

Model LE6920 SOCOM also have a recent big change either end of last month or this month, the Colt site are showing now with Troy Drop-In rails, the previous 2013 version from the Colt catalog had the military issued Knight's Armament M4 RAS rails, this change kind of bugs me because they changed the rails with cheaper around $150 less Troy but they did not lower their price of the carbine.

Piston system of the 6940P are better for if you're using a sound suppressor and I would also think that since it's a rare model would be a good one for collecting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow. I had no Idea the change to the Troy rails on the Socom. I had one when things went crazy in January and sold it because the offer was too rediculous to turn down. The attraction that the model had for me was the KAC rails. I guess I should have done a bit more homework before buying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts