Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Prior to 1854 Britain had supplied military defense for Canada but at that time the British Military was so heavily embroiled in the Crimean War that they were hard pressed to maintain their own military forces and therefore asked Canada to become more active in supplying their own arms. Canada accepted and in 1855 a commission was sent to England to purchase arms for the militia. Among other purchases, they bought 800 Colt Model 1851 Navy revolvers with 556 going to Upper Canada, the area of Canada now known as the Province of Ontario and 255 being issued to Lower Canada, the area known today as the Province of Quebec. The revolvers were issued to cavalry units, the markings on the grip show that this Navy went to the First Wentworth Troop, trooper number 7. Now looking for more information on this troop.
Jim
Wood Air gun Rectangle Trigger Gun accessory
Wood Gas Hardwood Door Wood stain
Wood Font Flooring Bumper Art

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now you must have a lower Canada Navy. Good luck.
At my age I will probably not live long enough, considering how long I have looked for this one!
Jim

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Prior to 1854 Britain had supplied military defense for Canada but at time the British Military was so heavily embroiled in the Crimean War that they were hard pressed to maintain their own military forces and therefore asked Canada to become more active in supplying their own arms. Canada accepted and in 1855 a commission was sent to England to purchase arms for the militia. Among other purchases, they bought 800 Colt Model 1851 Navy revolvers with 556 going to Upper Canada, the area of Canada now known as the Province of Ontario and 255 being issued to Lower Canada, the area known today as the Province of Quebec. The revolvers were issued to cavalry units, the markings on the grip show that this Navy went to the Wentworth Troop, trooper number 7. Now looking for more information on this troop.
Jim
View attachment 793055 View attachment 793056 View attachment 793058
Excellent gun and information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts