Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im new here looks like a sweet forum. What brings me here is my new agent saw it at the gun shop and had to have it so traded my combat comander. At the range with 230 grain round nose winchester ammo and first 50 rounds it acted like it was empty 6 times just locked open with ammo still in mag. So just pulled the slide back and chambered the round back to shooting. Thought it needed "broke in" so after 275 rounds of this problem it seems to be getting better but the last 50 I ran thru it happened 3 more times. I love the size of this gun and the trench sight but not the feed problem. Any advice?
100_3270.jpg Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make certain your thumb is not engaging the slide lock (if you're right handed). Also, open the slide and insert a loaded/partially loaded mag.
Look at the clearance between the ogive of the bullet and the inside of the slide lock where it would engage the follower if the mag was empty. Sometimes bullet can hit the slide lock tab on the inside.

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
As mentioned, sometimes the bullet end of the cartridge rising up in the magazine will hit the slide stop, engaging it. The slide stop may be a bit long on the inside, or the magazine well a bit tight, or both, with the result being inadvertent application of the slide stop when the magazine is not empty. Sometimes the angle on the slide stop where is contacts the plunger is sloped the wrong way, tending to force the slide stop up. I have created a small dimple in the end of the slide stop where it contacts the plunger if I have a Model O with this problem. That usually solves the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same problem on my New Agent. As JudgeColt stated, the slide stop may be, " a bit too long on the inside". After careful examination on mine, along with a takedown and cleaning, the stop outside back corner felt jagged and showed signs of wearing, were the bullet was slamming into it.

I lightly filed it down, rounding and smoothing it out. Took off very little. Works great so far. Now, if I could get the shell casings from coming back and hitting me in the forehead, I would really be happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys I have something to check for now and that makes perfect since. I will keep you updated
Thanks Again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update! Thanks again for advise took a good look at the slide lock and looks like it I can see where bullets have been contacting it. So I sent it to colt let them deal with it Ill keep yall posted when i get her back!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good deal, at lead you know that it's only a slightly out of spec slide lock.
I'm sure everything will be GTG when it gets back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Riggs - please keep us informed. I for one would like to know how long Colt has the gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they said could be 2 months and it went out 5/14 i going to call them in the morning i will keep you updated

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Did you try any other ammo? If the ogive of the winchester is different than say, Federal, you may not have had any problem with Federal ammo. Semiautos can be finicky.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i started with 230 grain round nose reloads ran 50 of them and thought that may be the problem but i have shot thousands of that load out of my combat commander so then i went and bought the winchester and then gave up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the new agent back today 5-14----6-21 not to bad all they said was adjusted to factory specks looks like some slide stop polishing. its hard to beleive but the experts at colt put an idiot scratch on it its light but there. Not happy

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
... the experts at colt put an idiot scratch on it its light but there. Not happy
It just goes to show you that it is really EASY to put the "idiot mark" or "takedown scratch" on a 1911-style pistol, that anybody can place such a scratch on a fine Colt, and that even skilled Colt employees can put a takedown scratch on a Colt.

If you were to send me your New Agent, I could make that takedown scratch larger and deeper, quite easily and inadvertently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts