Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first ever posting on this forum, so bear with me please. Wanted to ask what might be the best way to market a pair (2) new in the box Colt Army Special 32.20 revolvers. I have the documentation from Colt Archives showing they were shipped June 13, 1934. They are also one number apart from being consecutive serial numbers. There is an interesting story behind them but didn’t want to try to put it all on here. Any advice would be appreciated.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 5.JPG 4-2.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
Those are great guns. The later models from the 1930s were clean-up guns made using Official Police frames. They are very collectible. Member Lumberjack just sold one on Gun Broker, and I believe it sold for over $1,800. He takes consignments for very fair percentage, so you may want to go through him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I hope other members will join in with some ideas also. I really don't know what they are worth as a pair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blackjack33, the forum tells me that I do not have enough posts, to reply to a PM. "Note: Until your post count is 15 you will be able to send PMs to Staff only."

·
Registered
562 Posts
Very nice guns, but it would be helpful if you share your general location (state or country) when it comes to pricing. I would think the best way for an individual would be gunbroker.com, but you may have a problem if you don't have a record there. Otherwise I'd recommend one of the successful auction houses, but you'd of course have to pay their fee; but for the national exposure and ease of transaction it may be worth it to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bullet Bob. I live in North Central Indiana. And I have never sold a gun on Gunbroker. So there probably would be some concerns about that by potential buyers. By the way, the guns are NEW, factory fired only, the best that I can tell.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have had dealings with this gentleman and he has always provided excellent service, and his auctions are watched by serious collectors. My personal opinion is that you will get a substantial amount of extra money by using a professional consignee (consigner?) This gentleman here sold a 1912 Production Government Model for over $60,000 earlier this year.

Licensed Federal Firearms Dealer | JackTheDog.netJackTheDog.net

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Those are great guns. The later models from the 1930s were clean-up guns made using Official Police frames. They are very collectible..
This furthers the discussion of army specials being shipped well after the official police was cataloged. And with hard rubber stocks. I have a 1925 army special 38 nickel with later official police features such as sights and wood stocks. It would appear colt used up all the army special barrels and with the 32-20 had to produce some official police marked barrels in 32-20. Does anyone have an official police 32-20 with a earlier date than these? With the 41 colt, it appears the army special barrels lasted until the demand fell away. No doubt the depression years when one made use of stock on hand had an influence on was what produced and sold.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
Being new on GunBroker is a slight detriment, but everyone had to start somewhere. This pair will be a great way to start.

Take lots of high-quality pictures of the guns, their boxes (including pictures of the bottoms of the boxes showing serial numbers) and their archive letters. Offer a three-day inspection. Explain how and why these guns were shipped well after the Army Special was discontinued. Explain how carefully you will pack the revolvers and their boxes. (The guns should not be shipped in their boxes, unless very carefully secured so they cannot move around in their boxes and cause damage.) Offer "actual cost" shipping. Use good grammar and proper paragraphs in your narrative. Let us know when you put them up for sale. :D

·
The Consummate Collector
7,170 Posts
Your pair of Army Specials are exceptional and in there condition with boxes and paperwork and sold as a pair they should bring in the $4000 range and may do better. The 32-20 in the Army Special is very desirable and yours were from when Colt made a small run of these using up parts long after they stopped production of the Army Special and replaced it with the Official Police. The finish lacks the final polishing as Colt was selling these at a discount price. They were in a two piece box with finger cutouts as opposed to the regular box with the lid. I currently own several of these and have viewed many others over the years.

I know both Jack-The-Dog and Lumberjack and each would do an excellent job of marketing your guns. Lumberjack may have an edge as he sells mostly Colts and has a strong following for them. You can reach out to him on this Forum.

I hope this information helps and feel free to ask questions as members here are more than willing to help.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Also interesting with these guns is that they were sold to a protection agency in Indiana when Dillinger was still alive. No doubt that Dillinger help sell a bunch of guns in Indiana at the time. A research of that agency may prove beneficial in the sale of these 2 desirable Colts. These guns have never left the state where they were sold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
JudgeColt, very good advice! Thank You! ColtGuy thanks for the informative post.

SMKUMMER, the guns were shipped exactly 3 weeks after Bonnie & Clyde were killed in Louisiana (May 23) and a month before Dillinger was gunned down in Chicago (July 22).

The guns were owned by US Steel in Gary, IN.

When I got them in 1974, their guards had not carried guns since the late 1950s and were selling them through a local gun dealer. I had some "inside information" that out of the 60-70 guns they had,
there were 3 with consecutive serial numbers that had NEVER been issued to guards.

But before I could get to the gun store, someone bought the middle serial number. Hence, these are one number apart from being consecutive serial numbers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I am NOT a gun collector. But I learned something today. It was the importance of the box that the gun is in. Another forum member asked me to check for a serial number in pencil, from the factory, on the bottom of the boxes.

There are some there, and not very easy to read. But they are not the same as the guns. I don’t know what the answer is.

I remember that I went to the gun store with the 3 serials that I wanted, and 2 of the 3 were in the glass showcase with 4-5 others from the same consignment group (60-70 guns).

Referring to my previous post, the middle serial number of the 3 that had never been issued to a guard was sold already. (Maybe they had the nicest ones on display).

I know when I bought them, they added the boxes, which I wasn't aware that came with them. It was 43 years ago and the guns were 40 years old at the time.
Never knew about a penciled number on the bottom of the box.

I know a little bit about beer and cheap wine but, not gun collecting.

I have no idea how much it affects the value.

Thanks Ron.

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
I am NOT a gun collector. But I learned something today. It was the importance of the box that the gun is in. Another forum member asked me to check for a serial number in pencil, from the factory, on the bottom of the boxes.

There are some there, and not very easy to read. But they are not the same as the guns. I don’t know what the answer is.

I remember that I went to the gun store with the 3 serials that I wanted, and 2 of the 3 were in the glass showcase with 4-5 others from the same consignment group (60-70 guns).

Referring to my previous post, the middle serial number of the 3 that had never been issued to a guard was sold already. (Maybe they had the nicest ones on display).

I know when I bought them, they added the boxes, which I wasn't aware that came with them. It was 43 years ago and the guns were 40 years old at the time.
Never knew about a penciled number on the bottom of the box.

I know a little bit about beer and cheap wine but, not gun collecting.

Thanks Ron.
Even if the boxes are not numbered to the guns, it's still a beautiful set and worth good money.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
That is too bad. Many collectors (I am one) value original boxes very highly. I believe the lack of matching original boxes reduces the value of the package by at least 25%, maybe more. Your story will explain why the boxes do not match, but the fact that they do not still hurts the value of the package.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts