Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the "Colt Custom" markings are...controversial here but I wanted to share my shiny new 1911. I really wanted to get my hands on a new Colt bearing the Royal Blue finish to see how it compares to 1911s and Pythons of the past. Also I wanted to have a polished Royal Blue Colt that I shoot without getting heartburn over damaging original factory finish. I have to say this new Royal Blue finish is very impressive in person. I hope my photos do it justice...

Chuck

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine
Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Machine
Automotive tire Office supplies Automotive design Motor vehicle Bicycle part
Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Metal
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory
Office supplies Writing implement Pen Cylinder Writing instrument accessory
Hand Digital camera Gadget Camera lens Reflex camera

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Beautiful pistol! I've kept my eye out for those and if I stumble across one, I'll likely pick it up. Thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like it! I do appreciate the timed screws ( far better in your stock replacement than factory). What are the goofy lines on the top of the slide? Reflection? They showed up in both sets of pictures.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks y’all - I’d say it’s more like the screws timed themselves but sharp eyes!

And the goofy lines are the reflections from the cheapo light box I’m using. This gun is so shiny, no matter how I angled it, some shots showed the light bulbs. I tried contorting all different ways but it was like the frickin Mona Lisa always staring back at me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Beautiful, I have lusted after that gun for quite a while but I picked up a standard Classic I came across because it was actually in the case.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I passed on one this summer. It was the right move financially at the the time, but your excellent photos sting a bit. I think they’re fantastic guns and the rollmark is just fine.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
What's the grip material now? It's a really nice looking pistol for sure. My only issue would be the sights. I've never liked those high sights Colt started using, and the white dots make them look like those cheap ones Glock sticks on their pistols.

Have to say congratulations on your purchase, though...and never mind about the sights. Really nice photos, by the way.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks y’all - I’d say it’s more like the screws timed themselves but sharp eyes!

And the goofy lines are the reflections from the cheapo light box I’m using. This gun is so shiny, no matter how I angled it, some shots showed the light bulbs. I tried contorting all different ways but it was like the frickin Mona Lisa always staring back at me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahhh... gotcha.
I have to say that you did an outstanding job of lighting and photography!! Truly makes this finish pop!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for posting, I’ve only seen Colt’s advertising photos. They did a great job on it. Funny how Colt goes to the trouble of making guns we want then blow it with markings we don’t want. Kind of like marking their A4 rifles with “carbine” and QR code’s on Pythons.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I keep hearing how Colt doesn't have anyone who knows how to properly polish a gun. Yet I keep seeing expertly polished guns coming out of Colt all the time. Could it be the internet isn't right?

Dood, that's a gorgeous pistol right there!!

I'm not opposed to the pistol saying custom somewhere on the gun, but I do agree having it as a large billboard right on the side of the slide is in somewhat less than tasteful. It's weird, some of their guns the seem to have gotten the message that more classic, subtle stamping just looks much more classy. Then there's the guns with rolling billboards and neon lights. Regardless, even the big markings on the side of the slide can't ruin what a great looking pistol that one is.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the grip material now? It's a really nice looking pistol for sure. My only issue would be the sights. I've never liked those high sights Colt started using, and the white dots make them look like those cheap ones Glock sticks on their pistols.

Have to say congratulations on your purchase, though...and never mind about the sights. Really nice photos, by the way.

The grips are the IL10A Colt 1911 Dupont Corian Ivory-Lux Grips that are available at Gungrips.com

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Looks very pretty but almost too much polishing for my taste. Looks overdone to me
with too soft edges. Compare it to an older Colt side-by-side and it will be obvious.

From what I have read, Colt does no manual polishing any longer. They have a group
of stages of vibrating machines that use different types of medium. The piece starts with
the course medium (I don't know what they use) and progresses to finer and finer types
until the "look" they want for that model is achieved. With this method, getting the
attention to detail that the old-time pieces had isn't possible.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks very pretty but almost too much polishing for my taste. Looks overdone to me
with too soft edges. Compare it to an older Colt side-by-side and it will be obvious.

From what I have read, Colt does no manual polishing any longer. They have a group
of stages of vibrating machines that use different types of medium. The piece starts with
the course medium (I don't know what they use) and progresses to finer and finer types
until the "look" they want for that model is achieved. With this method, getting the
attention to detail that the old-time pieces had isn't possible.
since colt was sold; who know's what we will get.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts