Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the new cobra develops end shake how can it be corrected? By shims or bushings or will the collar have to be stretched like the d frames?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Let the Factory figure it out since it's a new production Colt and should be under warranty.
I'm a "DIY'er" but since this is new production with warranty, I would let Colt make it right.

To answer your question, I imagine these guns have the same cylinder collar design as the original D frames had since the mid '60s and the I frame has had since late '76.

With this type, you cannot "shim" the cylinder to correct minor endshake. The only way to correct it would be to stretch the cylinder collar.

However, I don't even think that is done anymore, as Frank Glenn began milling the old collar off and machining the cylinder to use a "press fit" removable bushing. Then if it develops endshake in the future, the new collar can just be removed and a new one press fit in. He doesn't "stretch" collars anymore.

This is honestly one reason why I won't buy or own Pythons made after the cylinder change. I think they are more susceptible to collar compression with this new design in the magnum frame, and there is no easy fix if they develop endshake. I don't have a milling machine or lathe to create removable collars or mill cylinders to accept them, and would rather not pay someone.

Of course, all of this information only matters if you actually shoot and use your guns like tools. For 90% of folks, future mechanical issues will never happen.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Well, now I know why all the distributors are out of stock ! :D
I wish it was that easy, I have acquired them as they have popped up from time to time. Check out grab a gun and sign up for their in stock email. They get them every few months but go out of stock usually within minutes of sending the notice. One is mine and the others are destined for my best friend when he moves out of California and the other for my grandson who many years from now will have a new in the box, unfired by me, Colt. Oh I may have to get one more for my newest grandson who sound arrive into this world in the next week, God willing.......I am not a hoarder, at least that is what I tell myself, yeah rightttttttt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts