Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for all options for grips for the New Cobra. Searching through posts hasn't shown many options. VZ and Herrett. The gun with factor rubber grips carries nicely in my overall pocket with or without a holster. I prefer to carry without. My hands are large, they are a snug fit in XXL gloves.

I would like to have your experiences and how the grips fit the gun and what size hand they work with. Also if there are any reports of makers that will be introducing new grips. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I put these VZs on my new King Cobra but after my initial range session they started to wiggle so something is out of spec. I sent them back to VZ for replacement this morning for another set. Even with the set pin and screwed in tight I still experienced wiggle at the top. VZ makes great products so I'm hopeful the next set will fit better. In the mean time the Hogue factory original grips are back in place.
Anyone else experience loose fitting with the VZ or Altamont Cobra grips?

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
"Anyone else experience loose fitting with the VZ or Altamont Cobra grips?"

Granted my Altamont stocks are on a Python but they fit very well; I have put a few hundred rounds through the gun since fitting them and they haven't budged one bit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the factory medallion Altamonts on my Cobra Classic. After 220 rounds of .38 spl and .38+p they are as tight as they were when it was new.

Highly recommend

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put these VZs on my new King Cobra but after my initial range session they started to wiggle so something is out of spec. I sent them back to VZ for replacement this morning for another set. Even with the set pin and screwed in tight I still experienced wiggle at the top. VZ makes great products so I'm hopeful the next set will fit better. In the mean time the Hogue factory original grips are back in place.
Anyone else experience loose fitting with the VZ or Altamont Cobra grips?
Mag318: When you get the VZ grips back. It would nice to see a side-by-side of the Colt & the VZ grips.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Just got my replacement VZ grips and decided to try the Operator II style with aggressive checkering. They look great on the King Cobra but once again they fit loose at the top. Called VZ and they are very concerned and think it may be the frame. Now Colt states that the King Cobra and Cobra have the exact same grip frame so aftermarket grips should fit. Here's a YouTube video I also sent VZ.
https://youtu.be/d8HXe_utaJc

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Bob that's a very interesting thread. These grips feel great but that wiggle is driving me nuts. I could try some tape to tighten them up but for the price I paid I want a perfect fit from the factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just got my replacement VZ grips and decided to try the Operator II style with aggressive checkering. They look great on the King Cobra but once again they fit loose at the top. Called VZ and they are very concerned and think it may be the frame. Now Colt states that the King Cobra and Cobra have the exact same frame so aftermarket grips should fit. Here's a YouTube video I also sent VZ.
Well we know the frame is not the same by looking at the topstrap, but it seems like it should be safe to assume the grip frame is the same

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just got my replacement VZ grips and decided to try the Operator II style with aggressive checkering. They look great on the King Cobra but once again they fit loose at the top. Called VZ and they are very concerned and think it may be the frame. Now Colt states that the King Cobra and Cobra have the exact same grip frame so aftermarket grips should fit. Here's a YouTube video I also sent VZ.
I got my NMKC the other day and am wanting some grips to masked it mine sort of. My dad has a Cobra and Night Cobra, the Cobra has Altamont and the Night Cobra the g10. I will be trying both this weekend when I go see him and hopefully can confirm one way or the other. By the way does anyone know the maker of the grips on the Night Cobra?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Everyone

Just wanted to let everyone know that VZ Grips is running a 20% off special. CODE: SPRING2019. I just placed an order for the logo series grips for my new King Cobra....Original Total without code 87.50. Grand Total with code: 71.70

Just trying to pass along some savings. Not sure when code will expire but can’t beat almost 16 bucks off.

Have a great day

Travis

·
Registered
201 Posts
I’ll have to contact VZ Grips on MOnday but I have had the grips for at least 6 months.

For the King Cobra Grips. I only used one pin and not both and it seems nice a snug. I know one is suppose to use both pins that come with the king cobra grips and will install that tonight to see what happens.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Bob that's a very interesting thread. These grips feel great but that wiggle is driving me nuts. I could try some tape to tighten them up but for the price I paid I want a perfect fit from the factory.
It's a common problem with the old Colts (and other brands) as well. The panels are held in place by the pin at the bottom and the rounded cut at the top, and this way of mounting doesn't allow for much deviation in the dimensions at all. It only takes a few 1/1000" difference in the gun or the grips for the grips be either wiggly or too tight, and in my opinion it's perfectly normal for guns of this design. I usually glue in shims to take up the slop, but the quick and dirty way of fixing it is to cut a piece of rubber band.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts